TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: maybe this only happens in britain
Java beetle 65 Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm

so i bought genuine VW dome hubcaps for my 65 a while back, and within a few weeks someone had stolen them. reluctant to buy new ones in case someone steals them again.

has anyone had any success securing them to the hubcaps? i wondered if a bit of stainless cable through the two holes looped underneath one of the wheel nuts would be a deterrent. however this could affect the balance so not sure...

anthracitedub Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:14 pm

That really sux man... our dubs aren't as safe as they used to be.
Probably the best thing to do is pop them off and lock them in the trunk when the car is unattended.

scottyrocks Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 pm

anthracitedub wrote: That really sux man... our dubs aren't as safe as they used to be.
Probably the best thing to do is pop them off and lock them in the trunk when the car is unattended.

After having my front logo stolen on the third day my bug was in front of my house, I have taken to removing my hubcaps when I'm away from the car for more than a few minutes. Sucks, but waddayagonnado?

grandpa pete Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Buy the $14 ones .

TDCTDI Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Nope, not in just Britain. The little dick eating bastards even like to shop the hotel parking lots near VW show venues for cars & parts.

Sharp64 Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 pm

People pretty much suck everywhere you go.

tisius Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am

That sucks big time.

I don't know any way to "anti-theft secure" the hup caps, basically they're shiny sitting ducks. Fortunately I haven't had them stolen so far.
So if someone has a good idea that doesn't ruin the appearance, then indeed we like to find out!

On the bright side: perfect excuse to get some alloys mounted :wink:
My tip: I use my rusty caps when I have the stock steelies on for daily use.... cause nobody fancies rusted hub caps :lol:

notsnarb Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 am

I approve Grandpa Petes method,

Buy cheap ones and lock the good ones in the trunk for use at shows etc. where you can keep an eye on them.

Early tail/rear lights are another target for theft at least they can me secured with anti-theft screws.

sucks

All_talk Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

I like the stainless steel cable through the holes in the cap rim idea, but I would drill a hole through across the flats of a lug bolt to attach the other end. If the hole was very close to the end of the flats (nearest the wheel) I suspect you could still get the lug in and out without removing the cable.

Another option might be a contoured washer with a tab that goes between the lug bolt and the wheel. But I wonder if there might be an issue with the lug coming loose.

Gary

KTPhil Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:48 am

Hide where the perp won't see you, and while he is bent down stealing it, sneak up and whack him over the head with an old hub cap. Hard. Break the skin. Make sure it's a real rusty old hubcap, sharp edges... tetanus, you know.

Oh, did I actually type that?
:oops:

(sort of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," if Maxwell was a VW nut)

56Cabrio Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:10 pm

KTPhil wrote: Hide where the perp won't see you, and while he is bent down stealing it, sneak up and whack him over the head with an old hub cap. Hard. Break the skin. Make sure it's a real rusty old hubcap, sharp edges... tetanus, you know.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny - Great idea !!!

scottyrocks Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 pm

KTPhil wrote: Hide where the perp won't see you, and while he is bent down stealing it, sneak up and whack him over the head with an old hub cap. Hard. Break the skin. Make sure it's a real rusty old hubcap, sharp edges... tetanus, you know.

I LIKE it!

Or, alternatively, how about an easily removable vinyl applique that looks like rust. Just slap 'em on the caps when you park, and peel 'em off and stow 'em when you're ready to motor!

grandpa pete Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:19 pm

scottyrocks wrote:
Or, alternatively, how about an easily removable vinyl applique that looks like rust. Just slap 'em on the caps when you park, and peel 'em off and stow 'em when you're ready to motor!

Funny stuff !

KTPhil Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:47 pm

How about this:

Or maybe just this on your bumper or window:

EVfun Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Repops for daily use. I've got an older set that has good chrome, but clealy isn't stock because the VW is raised instead of lowered (and I wax them more often than the car.)

I have one other thought... Perhaps the holes for the puller could be filled in from the back with something that wouldn't be too permanent. My repop caps don't have those holes and I have to resort to a plastic bondo spreader to get under the edge to remove them.

79SuperVert Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Several times people have come up to me at all-makes car shows and told me what great fun it was as kids to steal the Wolfsburg crests off Beetles. All I can do is smile and shrug.