TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need more sound proofing help.
rusty57 Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:54 pm

I put dynamat mats everywhere. I stuffed the small areas with expandable foam. The bus has all new seals on windows and doors. I'm making the panels for the cab this weekend. Can you stick regular house insulation between the panels and the metal? I can't hear the engine at idle, but when it's moving, the noise is pretty loud. I even replaced the fresh air vent seal.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/152227.jpg[/img]

[email protected] Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:00 pm

I don't know if its nessasarily a wise thing to do but yes you can stick house insulation in there. the panel I just got has is stuffed everywhere!

Kaput Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:30 pm

Not sure where I saw it but someone reccomended putting ziplock bags around insulation inside the panels. Makes sence to keep moisture from seeping in.

6d6vdub Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:32 pm

Go to dynamat's webpage www.dynamat.com and find the foam that they have. I'm sure that other companies make a similar product. but spray it inside your rear wheel wells. Alot of engine noise will come from there and i doubt that you matted the inside of them for the purpose of appearance.

abim Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:56 pm

for those of you who want to save some $$, try fatmat.com. . .at least half the price and equal the quality. i've got it all over my splitty and IT WORKS!!. . double it up surrounding th engine compartment. good luck.

Kaput Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:18 am

Coolin,
Looked on the site and couldn't find the spray-on you refered to. Could you post a more specific link?
-=dan=-

dstefun Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:08 am

Kaput wrote: Coolin,
Looked on the site and couldn't find the spray-on you refered to. Could you post a more specific link?
-=dan=-

Dan, I think he means the DynaShield spray at http://www.dynamat.com/spec_dynashield.htm

ritchiet002 Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:15 am

Am I the only one seeing only thumbnail photos on rusty57's posts? This is the second one I have seen! I wanted to check out those new tires in the other thread but needed a magnifying glass!

vwhooligan Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:56 pm

I've seen this site on here before and bookmarked it. Check this out. I'd love to do all this to mine when the time comes.

Chance

vwhooligan Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:04 pm

Just noticed I forgot to add the link.... D'OH!

http://yeah-baby.shagadelic.org/VW/info/gmbulley-soundproof/Engine.html

714guy Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:02 am

go to home depo, buy a product similar to dnyomat it called storm guard, its a roofing tar thats in a roll and you can do your bus like ten times with one roll. it only 60 bucks and works good. I used it on my mercedes and doubled up the layer and even layered up the panels to sound proof my system.

Thats what im goin to used on my bud when i do it, all you need a is a heat gun a a roller. Put on 2 to 3 layers on the metal and a layer on the panel it should quiet down the cabin.

brokevwguy Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Has anyone else used that ice and water insulation in their bus? Curious if it worked good as a sound barrier.

sgellis Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm

I would be worried about off gassing. It is not made for interior spaces.

Take a look at kilmat. I was very impressed and it's cheep. Bus is very quiet compared to before. Sounds like a new car when closing the door.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=66

tisius Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:28 am

rusty57 wrote: I can't hear the engine at idle

Impressive. But I would miss that sound if it wasn't there any more :?

ZENVWDRIVER Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:54 pm

tisius wrote: rusty57 wrote: I can't hear the engine at idle

Impressive. But I would miss that sound if it wasn't there any more :?

x2, I was thinkin' the same thing

skills@eurocarsplus Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:45 pm

brokevwguy wrote: Has anyone else used that ice and water insulation in their bus? Curious if it worked good as a sound barrier.

I am in the middle of stripping a bus that had that shit on the floors.

don't do it

don't use foam either.

flemcadiddlehopper Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:01 am

sgellis wrote: I would be worried about off gassing. It is not made for interior spaces.

Take a look at kilmat. I was very impressed and it's cheep. Bus is very quiet compared to before. Sounds like a new car when closing the door.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=66

I used a combination of Kilmat, for adding mass to the panels, and Focal's Bam, for knocking down airborne noise, as well as adding a thin layer of Thinsulate acoustic insulation, to help with temperature control. I also used the Dynomat hood insulation kit in the engine bay.
And, my exhaust will be loud enough that I'm not missing out on the engine's song.

Most of this was done for audio acoustics, but the deadening of the panels and tinny echo of the interior is gone. Can't tell you what the road noise is yet, as it's not on the road yet.

Gordo.