TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Recommend a good body rust removal and paint (San Diego)
STORMY681 Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Would like a good recommendation for someone how specializes in VW's to do body rust and paint restore in San Diego.

Thanks

67rustavenger Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Head for the border!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439586&highlight=tj

Good Luck.

space_out_today Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:54 am

Ditto on this request.

I live about an hour from the border and also have some rust and paint issues that need to be resolved on my Vanagon wolfie.

Has there been an current work experiences down in Baja? Some of the referrals that have been posted are quite old. I'm also open to other areas (national city, Riverside, LA) if the work is good and the price is fair.

Thanks

OB Bus Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:52 pm

I have seen some recent Tijuana paint jobs that turned out OK. But - as always seems to be the case - they took a lot longer than promised and were much more expensive than estimated.

I'd find a US based body shop and skip some of the frustration.

ateneo Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 pm

If you want to save on money, why don't you do some, if not all, the work of removing the rust, bondo and replace the rusted spots with mild still. If you have a garage, you can either hire a wilder/fabricator to do the work of patching up the rusted areas or you can learn how to fabricate & weld replacement panels yourself.

Once that is done then find a auto body painter and rent a paint booth. Auto Paint supply stores can direct you to businesses that rent their paint booths. You will be able to save a lot of money by doing it this way.