TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dash Pod Wiring
spacebiscuit Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi,

I'm wiring the dash instrument pod and I'm referring to this section of the diagram 8/71)

The brown cable comes form the turn signal/hazard relay. But I'm trying to figure out:

1. What does the white circle denote and what does the black t-shape denote (left green arrow)

2. The brown cable start thin (0,5) but once it meets the white circle it looks thicker and is marked with 1,5. What happens in the whit circle?

3. Look at the right green arrow, again a white circle presumable denoting a connection to the instument panel?

Any idea?

Rob.

busdaddy Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Small white circles denote removeable connections, solid black ones denote well... solid ones that can't be disconnected or are internal.
The large circle with the Y is the clock (the key page for the diagram should say that), I'm not sure why it shows the grounds terminated there because it should connect to the welded on spade cluster on the back of the speedo and have a separate ground to the clock case.
The heavy black T like image is a body ground spade, for the speedo it's the one above the fuse box on a 72 (although your later nose may have it near the wiper motor).

spacebiscuit Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:43 am

Thanks Busdaddy - seems there isn't anything that you don't know about the electrics on these vehicles, appreciate your help!

I just need to get comfortable with the notation and then I'm sure this will fall into place.

Got another question, again relating to how these diagrams are drawn. Looking at the fuel gauge and turn signal instrument:

I have a black wire that branches 3 ways and I think they connect as per my green arrows below

But that doesn't really tally with the diagram above, in that it looks like the black cables connect to or passes through K2 and the two green turn signals K3 and L10, or am I reading the diagram incorrectly?

Please note that I've mirrored my image so that it matches the diagram layout.

Rob.

kreemoweet Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:20 am

Those VW wiring diagrams are "schematics". They are NOT meant to be a pictorial description of
the actual physical wiring. If you try to interpret them as such, you will have no end to puzzlements.

That black wire is the power feed to those items, hot when ignition is on.

spacebiscuit Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 am

kreemoweet wrote: Those VW wiring diagrams are "schematics". They are NOT meant to be a pictorial description of
the actual physical wiring.

Thanks, as you can tell I am a newbie and it's a matter of learning how much detail to concentrate/focus on and when to just live a little wild and throw caution to the wind. I'm just terrified of messing up or blowing up my bus!

kreemoweet Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:07 pm

I don't believe there is ever such a thing as "too much detail", when trying to understand the complicated machine that is your bus. However, it's
understood that no one can take it all in at once. In regards to wiring/electrics, when a little more detail is desirable, you can have a look at some
of the "current-track" style of wiring diagrams that VW provided for the later models. Quite often, the electrical design is identical to that of earlier
years, and sometimes there is more detail provided, especially with regard to the internal function of switches and relays and such.

spacebiscuit Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Had a very productive day in the garage today with most of the wires in situ, identified and labelled ready to be connected.

Got a few doubts that I am hoping you might be able to help me with.

1. On the dash panel there is a black wire (bottom green arrow on my photo). It's not immediately obvious wear this plugs, possibilly L10 (instrument panel light)?

2. There is a red wire that runs to the back of the dash clock (see top green arrow), what is this wire? Possibly the live?

3. There is a cabel that disappears into the cab floor at the front of the bus and runs back along the length of the bus, I believe to the engine compartment. It's a fairly thin cable and mine is blue/red. Anyone know what this is, cannot see it on the diagram.

4. What is this part?

Does it look salvageable?

Thank you in advance.

Bob.

busdaddy Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:53 pm

spacebiscuit wrote: 1. On the dash panel there is a black wire (bottom green arrow on my photo). It's not immediately obvious wear this plugs, possibilly L10 (instrument panel light)?
The black wire from the fuse box daisy chains to each of the 2 kidney shaped areas surrounded by plastic that the idiot light sockets go into, then ends on the + terminal of the fuel gauge (G1).
Quote: 2. There is a red wire that runs to the back of the dash clock (see top green arrow), what is this wire? Possibly the live?
If it's red it's live all the time (circuit #30), that particular one powers the optional clock, if you have a blanking plate in the clock hole there's no wire.
Quote: 3. There is a cabel that disappears into the cab floor at the front of the bus and runs back along the length of the bus, I believe to the engine compartment. It's a fairly thin cable and mine is blue/red. Anyone know what this is, cannot see it on the diagram.
A single wire that's blue/red?, or a blue wire and a red wire?, is it in a black sheath?, is it in with the main harness or separate?
Quote: 4. What is this part?
Heater control levers. Depends on how much cleaning you want to do and if the friction washers are completely melted, I'd find a replacement from a parts bus myself.

spacebiscuit Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Great info thank you.

I had already identified the black daisy chain wires, this one is different so i obvious went wrong and this single back wire belongs elsewhere.

The blue/red is a single cable in the blach sheath that runs beneath the van, but it is seperate from the main harness and much thiner.

mattlockwood Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:04 am

Keep up the good work!

busdaddy Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 am

spacebiscuit wrote: The blue/red is a single cable in the blach sheath that runs beneath the van, but it is seperate from the main harness and much thiner.
Sounds like a PO gift for you to figure out, the rear dome light on a camper uses a wire just like that, but it runs up the LH windshield post.

spacebiscuit Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 am

Come to think of it I don't recall identifying the rear dome light to sounds like it could possibly be wire for that.

This begs the question, what is the sheathed bunch of cables running underneath the left-hand side of the van (separate and different run to the main run from the engine). Think I need to get under the van and see where it goes!

spacebiscuit Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I've decided to clean up the heating lever mechanism, here it currently:

I've been soaking it in Coke and vinegar then scrubing with a scourer, not quite finished yet but I think it's looking a lot better!

spacebiscuit Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Bussdaddy - you were right about those cables. The single blue/red was for the rear dome light. I had a bit of trouble getting the front dome light cable in place because my draw-wire broke whilst pulling the old one out!

The bunch of cables in the sheath running on the underside of the bus were to the brake switches just behind the front axle.

So all the wires are in place ready to be plugged in!