TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle?
satterley_sr Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm

To me, the exhaust on the 2275 didn't look like it was capable of 200 hp.

Cusser Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Well, I thought that the 1965 Beetle was in great condition, and looked nice afterward, exterior and interior. OK, they bolted on a complete new front end, OK, think that might've had discs. And they installed a complete Rancho transaxle, OK.

But I didn't like the fancy wheels, or that $5500 engine they bought for it, should've stayed stock on that stuff. At the very end of the show the one guy said it came with puny 1600cc engine where we all know it had 1200cc.

Typical - like with the blue truck in that episode - those guys are oftentimes like grown-up children, like to go fast in the dirt with everything. But I guess they're still helping to preserve history. Most of us here would've built back to 1200cc.

gt1953 Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I would have left well enough along, but that is me.
Probably redone the interior, 1600cc engine. Made sure all of the systems worked properly.
The engine hmm claimed to be 200hp. I did not catch the builders name.
Fifty five hundred for the motor, well I will admit you do get what you pay for.
That Chevy Silverado...Man I should buy them up here in the dry southwest and sell back east.

anthracitedub Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 pm

I liked it, and I noticed they did a few things correctly... like a new engine compartment seal.

surfbeetle Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Everything that they did could be easily reversed. If I were to buy that, I'd want to have the original trans and engine included for that very reason. I liked the way that they preserved the original paint and did the paintless ding removal. I would have preferred different wheels, not the stock looking wheels they used. But overall, I thought it was very well done.

jwp67 Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 am

I just about spit my coffee out when they were pulling the engine and one of them said "hold up, speedo cable". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anthracitedub Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 am

^ yeah, I caught that too...maybe he said "Speedy" cable 😉

cyclehobby Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah, he did say "speedo" cable when they were taking the motor out and it disappointed me a little...

I enjoyed the episode for the most part though. The Gas Monkey website featured the build and they said the narrowed beam is shockless. Not sure I like that idea, but OK. Overall, I liked the car in the end and I liked the wheels - probably because they looked stock-ish. The motor was a bit much, but it was cool. The Rancho trans was a good add, but like others have said, the original motor and trans were never considered, just yanked. I guess they weren't in the build plan.

Here's what I noticed:

The exhaust pipes appeared close enough to the body cut outs to hit. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
No time was spent showing the work done on the interior or whether it was done in house.
The end product appeared to have black or undercoated fenders, but no explanation or coverage was provided.
A performance (Black Mamba) shifter was installed but not mentioned on the show.

They bought the car (nice and very original) and the hi perf motor from Elliot Vancill. I recognized his name because there have been a couple VWs of his featured in HotVW Magazine. I know one was a mint green convertible and the article title was "Vancill's Vert". I think the other VW in the show that he took the Gas Monkey guys for a ride in was also featured in the mag.

How nice would it be to have a show about Vancill's place...??? Or Chris Vallone's!!!!

Sharp64 Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 pm

It would have been nice to have some more in depth but mostly because I like the subject car. It's not abnormal for them to gloss over most of what they do and usually I don't care. It also fit into their wheelhouse, taking nice examples and kicking it up a notch. None of these guys truly seem to be VW guys and I'm sure it was just to show something different. Personally, I liked the car and thought the mods were tasteful and looked nice. They aren't a resto shop, they're a custom shop so wasn't surprised at what they did. Honestly I figured they would have done more.

jason Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Dont think the muffler will hit. Looked like everything was solid mounted, trans. Change the muffler, wheels, interior and it would be a nice restocustom. IDA's with peashooters, funny. I thought they showed it with a sidewinder before install.

Dave Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 am

I would love to put that "200 horsepower" engine on an uncorrected dyno..

vwracerdave Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm

I saw some pictures on the GMG facebook page and it showed a MOFOCO logo machined on the engine case.