TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The million dollar question.... what carb (s) on my 1776
plimthing Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 am

Now before everyone goes mad, yes ive read for days the previous posts on the forum regarding this and there appears to be no definitive answer. However, my case and heads are on their way to machine shop to be opened up for 1776 barrels. No, not 92 or 94 just 90.5 as that's as big as I feel I need to go up to in 72 bay.
I have stock heads, stock cam, at the moment a 009, I just wanted a nice easy to install and set up carb option. Ive read about a single 34pict3, dual weber 34ict's, dual 40 IDF's, Single 40 IDF... the list goes on!
I am not going on the drag strip, just would like something to cruise at around 60/65 on motorway (highway) and not slow down to walking pace up a decent hill.
I don't really want to change cam, i'd like to just purchase something from someone who can supply with jets installed ready to go.
Any ideas.......
Thanks, Tony.

wcfvw69 Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 am

I'm running a very stock dual port engine with 90.5 pistons. I'm running an original, rebuilt German Solex 34-3 and an original Bosch 205Q distributor with stock muffler and all the original engine parts in place.

It runs like a dream. The carb has a bit bigger main jet for the 1776 but everything else is stock on the carb. I can cruise at 65 or 70 if need be. Plenty of power for a type 1 in a bus.

richparker Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:47 am

IDF40s. They'll produce more power and you'll still get 20-22 mpg on the highway. Adding a pertronix module to your 009 is a nice addition.

KentABQ Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:14 am

wcfvw69 wrote:

Do you eat in that engine bay, Bill?
It's a thing of beauty! =P~

Bulli Klinik Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 am

Gene Berg said, 'carbs run anything'. Take your pick...

Personally, I would leave it stock or run a set of Kadrons. IDF's are great and will work, but a bit overkill for a stock cam and heads. What I like about dual carbs vs. single is the instant throttle response, plus with correct jetting, the motor will run cooler.

Single, bigger than stock carbs are a hassle when you consider manifolds, jetting, heat risers, etc...

borninabus Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 am

Zenith, baby!

TomWesty Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 am

Bulli Klinik wrote: Gene Berg said, 'carbs run anything'. Take your pick...

Personally, I would leave it stock or run a set of Kadrons. IDF's are great and will work, but a bit overkill for a stock cam and heads. What I like about dual carbs vs. single is the instant throttle response, plus with correct jetting, the motor will run cooler.

Single, bigger than stock carbs are a hassle when you consider manifolds, jetting, heat risers, etc... Kadrons don't play well with a 009. You will also have to jet them to taste. No one can really just recommend jet sizes that are right. They can get close, but not spot on. If you don't carry much weight in your bus, I think you would be happy with a 1776 with Kadrons and a SVDA. But be prepared to spend some time tuning.

plimthing Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 am

regarding Kadrons, all I can find is a 'modern equivelant' here in the uk.
they are retailing at £595 for a pair inc linkeages.
I have a 34pict3 which was with the 1600 engine that came with vehicle. Is it worth jetting this one to suit to get the vehicle running before I raid kids piggy bank to pay for these carbs?

wcfvw69 Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:13 am

plimthing wrote:
I have a 34pict3 which was with the 1600 engine that came with vehicle. Is it worth jetting this one to suit to get the vehicle running before I raid kids piggy bank to pay for these carbs?

Yes but a couple of caveats-

1) The best 34-3 carbs are the original German Solex 34-3's. The carbs throttle shafts need to be rebushed if they haven't been done. Most will have vacuum leaks there. In the USA, you can find shops to do this for $50-70 bucks. Throw in a rebuild kit for another $25 dollars after the carb was rebushed, and you'll have a great carb.

2) You need to run the correct distributor that matches the base flange number of the German Solex. Most were made for DVDA distributors, at least here in the USA. The others were made for SVDA's. The carb needs to match the distributor. You want to run a rebuilt BOSCH matching distributor. 34-3 carbs don't work well at all with 009's.

An example. My bus has an original German Solex 34-3 carb that had the throttle shaft bushing redone. It's a DVDA carb. I sourced and rebuilt the correct Bosch 205Q distributor for it. The combo work beautifully together like the German engineers designed. It idles buttery smooth. Zero off idle flat spots and excellent mid-range torque.

In my experiences, professionally rebuilt, original VW carbs and distributors work vastly better than after market ones. Those EMPI Kadron copies have spotty quality. You have to do a lot of work and jetting to get them to run right. Couple that with trying to find a distributor to work with them correctly and it's just not worth it to many folks.

aeromech Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 am

I'm 100% in agreement with Bill on this. Duals are a pain

Bulli Klinik Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 am

Spot on.

Nothing runs easier or finer than a stock setup, even with a few more CC's.