TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seattle Grunge Scene in '92- With an Early Bay
GTV Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:26 pm

This is a fairly distinctive bus, has anyone seen it?

https://youtu.be/iD4jBefPqkk

Sorry, I'm not sure how to imbed a video.

richparker Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Oh how I pine for the 90s...

Zelten Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:05 am

I haven't seen that bus around town. Everything about Seattle in that video has changed except the needle and weather.

Gregg in the 603 Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:33 am

That Pig Car Wash still there? I remember that well!

Bleyseng Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:02 am

Elephant Car Wash!!!! It was a burger drive in before that.

Xevin Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:38 am

Zelten wrote: Everything about Seattle in that video has changed except the needles and weather.

Fixed that for you :wink:

Zelten Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:42 am

Xevin wrote: Zelten wrote: Everything about Seattle in that video has changed except the needles and weather.

Fixed that for you :wink:

Those needles have gotten worse.

Zelten Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:46 am

Gregg in the 603 wrote: That Pig Car Wash still there? I remember that well!

Yeah that's still there amazingly. I can't image it will be there much longer before it's turned into a high rise multiuse condo.

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Those of us of a certain age remember that time, and know there was a strong tie-in between the VW community and the dynamic music scene in the Puget Sound during the late '80's and early '90's. Lots of us also rode BMW bikes at the same time.

notchboy Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Zelten wrote: I haven't seen that bus around town. Everything about Seattle in that video has changed except the needle and weather.

The pink elephant car wash is still there off Denny :lol:

notchboy Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:44 pm

notchboy wrote: Zelten wrote: I haven't seen that bus around town. Everything about Seattle in that video has changed except the needle and weather.

The pink elephant car wash is still there off Denny :lol:

Ahh edit read the rest. :oops:

There are waaay more people boxes around there as well.

sunnydog Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 pm

Former Soundgarden tour manager Eric Johnson, from Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge:

“I met the Soundgarden guys when I booked them for a show in Ellensburg, in ’86 or ’87. I remember I took this class on George Orwell in college, and his world is all about the proletarian, the worker guy, and he just describes dirt and grime and these heavy working situations. Then these guys showed up and they’re kind of these strange Orwellian creatures. Matt had a red Volkswagen van and they were all working on the clutch or something, so all of them were under this car working. They all had work pants on and boots rolled up, and Chris looked like he just got done workin’ in a steel yard. I thought they looked so cool.”

sunnydog Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Maybe its not a zebra-striped bus like he had in highschool, but VW love persists...

From 2013

And 2016:

TomWesty Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:13 pm

I had to laugh at the part where the Rainbow Tav is now a strip club. That is part of what made me leave the Seattle music scene in 1980. You would book a gig 2 months or so in advance and you'd get to the venue and it would have changed owners and been converted into a strip club. Used to run into Dave Grohl back then. Although we didn't know that's who he was. We would be loading out of a Tavern and he and whatever band he was in at the time would be loading in. I don't miss it. I lost a lot of weight dealing with flaky club owners and I'm thin to begin with..... 8) Beautiful city though. I want to visit again just to have beers with the bus crew.

Malokin Martin Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:44 pm

That Novoselic video is very very cool.

It's kind of fun to see someone famous doing the same stuff I do when driving my rusty VW around.

Xevin Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am

Damn it Cornell, that final encore was one for the ages :shock: Rest In Peace.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundgarden/2017/fox-theatre-detroit-mi-43e7fb7f.html

richparker wrote: Oh how I pine for the 90s...