TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kitty Hair ok for door gap narrowing ?
Doug C Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am

Is kitty hair filler (short strand fiberglass filler) ok for narrowing the door gaps? I know welding a strip of metal would probably be preferable but it's a lot more work and trouble and I'm out of gas at the moment. I have seen a youtube video where kitty hair was being used for this purpose (on trunk gaps and doors) of a vintage Jag E-type coupe. The guy used foam tape inside the gap then filled in w/kitty hair, cutting away a 4mm strip for the new gap using a razor blade fixed to each side of a paint stick, before the filler cured completely. Has anyone here used this method, is the stuff durable enough? Doors gaps don't necessarily get abused and this stuff is hella strong when cured - but I want to make sure if it's something you guys have heard of..

Doug C

kman Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm

No. Use 1/8 inch rod.

jspbtown Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 am

Yes...it might be strong but not so much when the area of adhesion is so small.

Having a chunk pop off is a real likely possibility.

Doug C Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14 am

ok understood.. thanks guys.

Doug C

marklee Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Doug C wrote: Is kitty hair filler (short strand fiberglass filler) ok for narrowing the door gaps? I know welding a strip of metal would probably be preferable but it's a lot more work and trouble and I'm out of gas at the moment. I have seen a youtube video where kitty hair was being used for this purpose (on trunk gaps and doors) of a vintage Jag E-type coupe. The guy used foam tape inside the gap then filled in w/kitty hair, cutting away a 4mm strip for the new gap using a razor blade fixed to each side of a paint stick, before the filler cured completely. Has anyone here used this method, is the stuff durable enough? Doors gaps don't necessarily get abused and this stuff is hella strong when cured - but I want to make sure if it's something you guys have heard of..

Doug C

Shouldnt you ask yourself why you need to narrow door gaps?

Doug C Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:14 pm

marklee wrote:

Shouldnt you ask yourself why you need to narrow door gaps?

The car has a salvage title (will soon be a rebuilt title), part of it's reconstruction was replacing nearly all of the rr quarter panel. It was done to best of my ability, I think it's come out great.. really close but not 100% perfect and the gap is a little wider than perfect like on the rest of the car from the factory, and like on many makes from ages ago. I could probably skip it and hardly anyone would notice but I would. Also perfecting the gaps is pretty cheap and so I figure why not.

Doug C

volksaddict Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:23 am

I wouldn't consider using filler to be "perfecting the gaps"