TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dana Steelefrom Der Volks Werks in Santa Barbara has passed away
overrestored Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Dana Steele, owner of Der Volks Werks in Santa Barbara, CA was involved in a single car accident earlier in February in a vanagon... and was taken to the hospital with critical injuries... he was taken off life support and passed away this past Thursday. He was one of the first of the west coast Vintage VW club guys... along with Joe Crocket (RIP) and Steve Herron. I remember seeing these guys in the 1970's driving vintage vw's. Everyone else was building Cal Look cars... but Dana and Joe and Steve were collecting splits, Hebs, Schwimmers, Kubels and the like.

Joe and Dana and Randy from BBG's up in Nipomo... were all old school vw guys... They shared their knowledge with many younger VW enthusiasts that are now deep in the VW scene.

Dana drove a British occupation commmandeurwagon looking 1940's beetle as his driver... Were they 1946?... I forget... anyway his beetle (with the one year only seam in the roof) was a staple there in front of his shop for decades. Inside you could find all sorts of interesting VW military stuff... a Schwimmer... etc.

So sad to lose these guys slowly as time passes... but I guess that is how it goes with time. The institutional memory bank has had a few files deleted with Dana's passing. Santa Barbara has lost another air cooled mechanic. RIP Dana.

For more info... There is a link on the Facebook page of the Vintage VW club of America: https://www.facebook.com/groups/72032042560/permalink/10154591782317561/