TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 6v flywheel on a 12v engine ?
tattooedvwdude Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:20 pm

I recently got a 66 Kombi with no engine, I have a decent running 1600 that I want to put in there until I can find something else. Can I put a 6v flywheel which I believe is 1/4 in smaller in diameter on a 12v 1600 engine? My bus has already been converted to 12v. If anyone could give me some info on this I could use some help THANKS

edgy Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:39 pm

I have run a 6V flywheel on newer engines when racing. You will have to go to a 6V starter. It will turn faster and will last a very long time.

john walker's workshop Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:42 pm

it's gotta be an "o ring" 6V flywheel. the later one.

tattooedvwdude Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:36 pm

what do you mean by o ring type, I took a flywheel off a 6v engine but saw no o ring, I didnt see any o ring on the flywheel I took off the 12v either

vwpackrat Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:01 pm

You can run a 6 volt flywheel on your engine but you must use a 6 volt starter also. You can run a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system with no problems.

volksfahrer.nl Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:32 am

vwpackrat wrote: You can run a 6 volt flywheel on your engine but you must use a 6 volt starter also. You can run a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system with no problems.

There is but one problem! The axle off a 6 volt starter is 12,4mm in diameter and the 12 volt is 11mm.
If you do a 6 to 12 volt conversion you can use filling bushings but a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt type of gearbox won't fit!
You either have to drill out the dimple where the axle of the starter sits in or grind of the axle to 11mm.

I did the last thing and it works great but it's not the right way to go.
It may cause problems on long terms.

vwpackrat Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:30 am

This is true.............but why would someone be running a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt tranny. I thought we were upgrading to 12 volt system just wanting to use some of the 6 volt components. If you have a 12 volt tranny, most likely you've already got a 12 volt system.

tattooedvwdude Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:51 pm

I believe I have a 6v tranny, it is the original that came with the bus. The guy I bought it from said the bus had been converted 12v. The inside diameter of the bellhousing is smaller than on a 12v tranny. I think the bigger tranny didnt come until the late 67 models.

dazer Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:51 am

Hi

I have a 61 split with the original 6v small nut tranny. This was converted to 12v and a later 1500 motor fitted by the previous owner.
It ran this way for several years with the 6v starter and 180mm 109 starter ring gear teeth 6v flywheel.

amishman Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:08 am

Can someone tell me how I can tell if I have a smal nut ot big nut tranny. I have a 1960 Single Cab that has a 1600cc engine in it by previous owner. Am I correct a 6V tranny is a small nut and a 12v tranny is a big nut? Please tell me how I can see what mine is.

And, what is the big difference between the two options.

Thanks

Thomas

Karl Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:15 pm

Measure the nut holding the rear brake drum on. Small nut is 36mm. Large nut is 46mm. Except for certain M codes on 63 buses, all buses til the end of 1963 were small nut. Large nut started in 64. And no, large nut does not mean it is 12v. 64 was 6v, 67 was 12v. Some people say they have seen factory 12v 65's and 66's but most were 6v.

Kaput Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:09 pm

Hey,
I am in a similar situation, I found an engine with a 6 volt flywheel and one with 12 V. I have a 6 volt system now and as a novice putting in my first engine so this seems Ideal to me as it seems that is the only modification I would need to make would be new battery and light bulbs and wiper converter. I will be converting over to 12 I suppose when this new motor goes in.

Are there any other drawbacks in engine power or life?

busracer Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:04 am

im not sure about johnwalkers o-ring flywheel comment. i wish hed elaborate. im sure ive used non o-ring 6 volt flywheels on later engines. ive used the paper gasket between the flywheel and crank. i could never figure out the factory manuals description of replacing the gasket with whatever was there in the first place.you will also want to set the endplay when changing flywheels.

anyway, you can buy "adaptor" starter bushings to either fit a 6 volt starter to a 12 volt trans or a 12 olt starter to a 6 volt trans. that part is easy and i assure you you can easily find the bushing. i think the only drawback is clutch diameter. running the 6 volt flywheel forces you to run a 180mm clutch instead of the 200mm. ive never had any problems with slippage because of this.

lastly dont worry about running a 6 volt starter on 12 volt. i have one 58 beetle that has been running like this for 10 years on the same starter...and ive always been told the same. im msure eventully it will reduce the starter life but ive never had a problem withthe several ive run like this.

busracer Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:11 am

12 volt was an option earlier than 67. every once in a while you find a flywheel from one of these engines. it is a 6 volt diameter flywheel but with a 200 mm clutch surface like 12 volt flywheels. kind of cool if you think you need a bigger clutch.

swervyjoe Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:51 pm

i have a '65 that came with 12v from the factory. is the flywheel a 12v flywheel or a 6v flywheel. the starter is 12v oviously but would it have a 12v or 6v gear? there was an engine in the cargo area when i got it, but i don't know if the engine is original.

joe

Just us buses Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:11 pm

I had a problem with a 6 volt flywheel on a dual port engine loosening up after a few hundred miles. In my opinion, a 6 volt flywheel must have an H case motor or earlier. I ran a 6 volt starter on 12 volts for many years but I used a 12 volt solenoid. Somebody (the old Rocky mtn. motorworks, maybe) offered a 6 volt flywheel with an O-ring for later, bigger motors but as I recall, with a 180mm clutch. I've heard one can have the shoulder ground out of an earlier flywheel for this purpose, but don't know more about it.

davebuckholts Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:26 pm

Okay, to add to the confusion.........I have a 180mm, 6 volt, non o-ringed flywheel and I'm using a 12 volt automatic (self supporting) starter!
When I bought the truck and was driving it home from Dallas, the starter would not engage at a rippy mart. So I climb under there and figure the damn thing is bad.......Well no where to get a 6 volt starter on Saturday afternoon in god knows where, Texas and I'm certain there's no adapter bushing anywhere either. Get some dudes to give me a push and I'm off. Get to my brother's house in Houston and install the auto strter with great results. Been running it ever since w/o a problem.
One thing to be careful of with the 6 volt starter/12 volt system is the bushing. That's what happened to me. It'll spin like a banshee but there is also a great deal of wear that can be caused on the bushing and bushing hole. The bushing hole was wallowed out big time. No bushiing could have fixed it.

BryanM Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:46 pm

I run an auto starter in my rigs too.

coad Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:14 pm

tattooedvwdude wrote: I recently got a 66 Kombi with no engine, I have a decent running 1600 that I want to put in there until I can find something else. Can I put a 6v flywheel which I believe is 1/4 in smaller in diameter on a 12v 1600 engine? My bus has already been converted to 12v. If anyone could give me some info on this I could use some help THANKS

OK, this applies ONLY to tattooedvwdude or anyone else with a 1966. Everyone else just ignore this-- this thread is screwed up enough already.

John Walker is right. Your 1966 took a 1 year only oddball flywheel. Before 1966 they used a 180mm flywheel with teeth for the 6 volt starter/after 1966 they used a 200mm with the 12 V teeth. ONLY IN 1966 did they come with a 200mm flywheel with the 6 volt teeth. It also has an O-Ring. If you need one RIMCO sells them. About $100.

Now, in tattooedvwdude's situation he might be in luck. If his bus has the original transmission and all it should already be set-up for 200mm. In that case the late style 12v flywheel should work without doing anything.

I am not an engine guy, but this should let you ask the right questions to someone who is.

SHTUBBY Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:07 pm

There are alot of 200mm 6V flywheels out there. Some are O-Ring Style some are the step type. You can run either of these flywheels on the later crank. You can't use an O-Ring style flywheel on the early short step cranks without machining.

Steve BAP