TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Driving a bus rules all!! Page: 1, 2  Next
Ian Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:12 am

Well, I put my new-to-me engine in Thursday night, finished some stuff up Friday night, and drove her all of Saturday. What a blast!! I had my friend follow me in his M3 to see if my tail lights were working. He said they do, so no worries. I was going 43 in a 35, so I was keeping up with traffic rather well. This thing is such a beast...but I love driving it. I gotta get new tires and fix the somewhat squishy brakes, but it's still pretty good. I've been driving a BMW for the past week without even 1/2 this much fun. Driving a bus is the best thing I've ever done. I don't think the novelty will ever wear off! I LOVE MY BUS!!

BavarianWrench Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:20 am

Ian I'm smiling almost as large a smile as you by just reading your post. You have the split sickness for sure. Now you need to cruise by and we'll go for a roll arround town. I haven't seen two splitties rolling at the same time for awhile now. I want to check out your bus.

Benfalia Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:11 pm

it will never wear off...

DubStyle Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:14 pm

Hell Yeah I don't think there will ever be a day that the coolness will wear off! :D

ritchiet002 Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:21 pm

"JDogg" doesn't know---or he would trade his type 3 for a bus.

714guy Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:07 pm

DubStyle wrote: Hell Yeah I don't think there will ever be a day that the coolness will wear off! :D

Werd, I love driving my bus, and everytime i drive it i get at least a few compliments on it and my bus looks like crap right now too . The coolness factor is definitely up there.

type877 Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:18 pm

Congrats Ian! Your enthusiasm is infectious. I don't care if my bus is running bad, if the weather is really hot or too cold, nothing wipes the bus smile off my face. 8)

Tribalbus Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:27 pm

my bus has been off the road for 3 months,since a hit-run driver hit me.insuranse covered it,but i also decided to fix the hacked fender wells and "spruce it up"a bit.i finally got all the body work done today and should be in the paint booth tommorrow.to say i am going nuts without my bus is a huge understatement.man i can't wait to drive that bad boy.NOTHING COMPARES TO A SPLIT!!!!{take a hint jfrog!!}its just the coolest damn vehicle ever built.and by far the funnest i have ever driven..hands down.

Sergeant D Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:29 pm

Almost 20 years of the "SS" (Spilt Sickness) for me and 13 of that my bus has been in storage. I don't think it will ever wear off for me.

I cannot wait to have my daily driver back!

Wednesday, Competition Engineering will wake her up!!

Cheers and best wishes to you and your bus!

Sarge

mynameismud Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:31 am

ahhhhhhh- well I'll just lay on my back in the grease and dirt while the rust flakes off on my face every turn (or attempt) of the wrench and dream of that day- :?

bmc350 Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:38 am

What up Ian? Glad to hear you got that box rolling. Proud day for sure. I wish I could have been there some how to return the favor. Thanks again for coming over and helping with our busses while you where in Houston. Your welcome here anytime. Give us a shout when you come back to H-Town.

NorCalWeekender Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:56 am

Awesome, man. Just awesome! And it's gotta be a big difference going between a BMW and an old bus!! :lol:

-Taylor

Ian Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:12 pm

It's a big contrast. I'm hoping to get more finished up on the bus this weekend and maybe a stereo installed so I can cruise it more. I got my blinkers sort of working. I have to re-align the steering wheel somehow because it's out of whack and thus plays games with my blinnkers. I also need to figure out my brake lights so they both work and not just one. :wink: Hopefully it'll be looking good here shortly. I drove it to school this morning with a lot of looks of "what the hell is that?"; it was great fun. I definitely need some tunes though. I'll have pictures soon. Peace, -Ian

Split Decision Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:10 am

Tribalbus wrote: my bus has been off the road for 3 months,since a hit-run driver hit me.insuranse covered it,but i also decided to fix the hacked fender wells and "spruce it up"a bit.i finally got all the body work done today and should be in the paint booth tommorrow.to say i am going nuts without my bus is a huge understatement.man i can't wait to drive that bad boy.NOTHING COMPARES TO A SPLIT!!!!{take a hint jfrog!!}its just the coolest damn vehicle ever built.and by far the funnest i have ever driven..hands down.

Are you painting it a different color like you talked about?

Mike

Mr. Electric Wizard Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:46 am

Way to go!!!
I am sooo jealous man... I'm probably another six months from driving mine.

You gotta drive it down to H-town next time your here...

Tribalbus Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:40 pm

Are you painting it a different color like you talked about?

Mike[/quote]
........wanted to paint it back to mango green,but was way to abitious of a project.unfortunitly whoever painted it yellow and white did it on the inside too,which means i would have to strip down to a bare shell to have repainted it.just didn't have the time,$and ambition to do it.i'm happy with it yellow for now.it does get alot of attention.it just got out of the paint booth this morning.[they had to paint the white} it took 3 months,day night and weekends to get it to this piont.i walked into the paint booth after they applied the yellow,and my heart almost stopped ,itlooks awsome!tommorrow its all about me putting it back together.can't wait for bob baker show on sunday!........

Split Decision Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:00 pm

Sweet! I thought I remembered you saying that you wanted it back to the original color. You're right, though...that would be a s$%^load of work.

Mike

Hornman Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:11 am

Very cool! Congrats. Ya, it's a great feeling driving a Splitty! Mine's parked AGAIN. I cursed it by calling it a Blessed Bus here on TheSamba :lol:

davebuckholts Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:35 am

Nothin' like it! When I bought the speedster, I drove it from Dallas to Houston, spent the night with my brother and then drove it 18 hrs. to South GA. It was rainy and cold but I was smilin' my ass off. Get used to the thumbs up and comments. So far there have been around 20 pics taken and 3 videos shot.................many while I was driving it down the interstate! I love it!
Just talked to the dude at the stereo shop a second ago. I took the Monsoon stereo out of a wrecked 2003 New Beetle and had him wire it up for me. He said it's ready to rock! Six speakers, amp and 6 disc changer going in the speedster this weekend along with the freshened up engine. I'm stoked!

jerry.t Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:39 pm

man glad to hear you got to drive it, and you like it.
now if i could just get mine on the road i would have that smile to. :P