TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: HotDogFred's Bus...Recovered! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
NorCalWeekender Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:37 pm

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this here, but I heard this morning at Kelley Park that HotDogFred's 21-Window was stolen overnight (between Sat and Sun) in San Jose, just before the Kelley Park event this morning. Everything was in it! All his contacts, lots of ladders, even an engine he was to deliver to someone at KP. The worst part is that the parking attendant even saw some guys pushing it, but did nothing about it!! :evil: If you don't know HotDogFred, he's one of the coolest and most stand up guys in the hobby. He makes some awesome roofracks and grills up a mean bratwurst! This is a terrible thing to have happen to such a nice guy.

Here's a pic of his bus from BYOB, maybe 12hrs before it was stolen.

-Taylor

Roamingwesty Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:57 pm

That sucks. Hope it gets recovered soon - Fred's got good karma.

p.s. Fred has an OG Turkis rear seat kick panel on that bus since Bakersfield. Turquoise vinyl in good shape, bottom aluminum trim a little bent towards the front. If you see it on the market you MIGHT BE on track of the whole thing. Of course there're other kick panels on the market, but not too many. Wouldn't hurt to be smart and on the lookout.

rizzag Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:02 pm

man that really pisses me off. i hope fred finds his bus quickly in ok condition.

this is the reason my barndoor(when i get one!) is going to be a kombi, it will be low on the crime radar.

BavarianWrench Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:21 pm

Somebody knows who stole it somebody is going to be selling some racks. Stay heads up get the word out, find these guys and don't call the police. There is no justice for stealing somebodies lifestyle and livelyhood.

BryanM Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:28 pm

Damn that sucks.
Sorry HDFred.

vntgbus Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:34 pm

Sold that bus to hot dog fred some 15 years ago regreted selling it. That bus was a true org. bus. the last time I talked to fred at the S.O.T.O show couple years ago he said the only reason he did not restore it was because it had been in so many movies.
When I sold it to him it had org. safaris empi steps and other misc.org.parts. Fred good luck in finding it. :cry:

LHG Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:54 pm

I'll keep an eye out at our swap. I got a rack and an a brat from Fred at the Bakersfield show. Very cool guy, shouldn't have happened.

WharfRat Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:05 pm

will the barndoor mafia do hits that involve non-barndoor buses? sounds like some thug needs to wake up with a fatchick hood in their bed.

UZI Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:19 pm

the barndoor mafia will be on the lookout. i would imagine that these thieves may be realizing they have f*cked up. RETURN THE STUFF YOU STOLE and LEAVE THIS HOBBY

j.pickens Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:30 pm

I second that sentiment, Uzi!!!

I got one of Fred's ladders, and it is TOP NOTCH!

If you have that bus, fool, park it in a safe place and drop a dime, call someone who can call someone to report its wherabouts!

NorCalNick Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:30 pm

Thats so Fucked up man........These thieves mut be real STUPID or haev big Farkin BALLS......Freds bus is well known on the westcoast and if any parts show up im sure someone will notice them.

Speaking with Fred this morning i heard him say ALL his racks were sold at BYOB. The items missing are his 21 window, tools, motor he was transporting, and wallet/creditcards of his CO-Pilot (sorry for no name)

Chillkoot Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:43 pm

I hope this fucker ends up on Hags table.......

Tim Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:11 pm

That REALLY sucks....

I don't know Fred, but he made me a ladder and went out of his way to make sure I was happy with it. Heck of a nice guy...

VintageDreamz Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:26 pm

Man, that sucks.
Fred,
Is there any particulars we should look out for, besides the kick panel, a lot of shows are coming up and I'm sure there are people like myself who would like to help keep an eye out.

KombiMonster Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:54 pm

Well I just meet Fred at BYOB and was talking about his ladders...and asked about a single cab ladder....I'm real sorry to hear about his bus..For the 10 minutes I talked to him he seemed like a real nice guy.

If you guys don't know there was a car that was hit also...stole some parts off of it. I don't know the guy so I'll let someone who knows him post the car....

hot dog fred Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:59 pm

:( then I can't believe, then :( again. What really makes me so angry is that the hotel clerk just watched and did nothing, and then says to me when I have him call the police to report it (its not my job to wonder why your bus is being pushed out.) The thiefs got a 2 hour start on us before we discovered it missing Thanks for the moral support EVERYONE. The news spread fast. I'm still trying to remember everything that was in it. The engine that was inside the bus is the only thing I had a serial number of, 2250106 it is a 36 horse. If your familiar with the clamps I make for the racks, there was 22 of them.Everything in it was original, Safaris, ambulance fan with primer gray cover. Tim Leventry had his Id, credit card and check book.Also two judson superchargers and plenty of small stuff. What I'm going to miss most is the personal stuff. Photo album of all the places first Jerome,first bbb,other events and pictures of all the great people I have met. Sorry thread so long, and thanks again. I'm trying to stay positive Thanks, HOT DOG FRED

dstefun Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:30 pm

That really sucks, Fred! We'll be sure to keep our eyes open up Sacramento way. What was the name of the hotel? We'll be sure to skip them next year!
I sure hope they find it all for you.
Dave

fine59 Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:48 pm

Already called my club members to keep an eye out, for the parts and the bus. :x Sorry Fred it can't be too easy to hide, someone will see or hear somthing.

fine59 Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:49 pm

Already called my club members to keep an eye out, for the parts and the bus. :x Sorry Fred it can't be too easy to hide, someone will see or hear somthing.

Tribalbus Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:16 pm

man,sorry to hear about that fred.definately think we need to band together in the vw community and keep our eyes out for that bus and any related parts.i can't believe that there are people among us that would do such a scumbag thing. :twisted: .......Louis