TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Road trip/barns find Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
splitpile Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:46 am

Flying out tomorrow a.m. to go help sort out a barn stash found back east. Buildings full of VW parts from an old VW mechanics estate.
50 years of VW parts and cars. Bugs, buses and ghias all sitting in their original states. Rooms full of used and NOS parts.
I will post pics when I get back Tuesday, feel like a kid in a candy store just looking at the pictures of what is there.
The kicker is one building there hasn't been opened yet because the buses are blocking the door.
Funny part is my friends who have been sorting through whats there kept walking past a chicken coup and finally decided to look inside and low and behold it had a nice stash of early deluxe parts in it!

NorCalWeekender Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:55 am

:shock: Too cool!!! Keep your eyes peeled for any Riviera campers or single wheel trailers!

-Taylor

billyisme Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:11 am

Hey Ronnie you need to pull a Geraldo Rivera and bring a video camera to record this "vault" opening. That'd be a fun movie to show on the big screen at this years BBB or Jerome!

Lind Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:47 am

splitpile wrote:
Funny part is my friends who have been sorting through whats there kept walking past a chicken coup and finally decided to look inside and low and behold it had a nice stash of early deluxe parts in it!

tht reminds me of last summer when we were digging through huge stacks of NOS parts at an undisclosed location when after spending a full day going through the building having covered most areas two or three times, I noticed a door that I hadn't been through. I opened it up and found an original upholstery nice six leg middle seat. I probably should have bought it, it was only $600. (it did get bought and I think it ended up in florida)

TimB Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:55 am

that is way cool. You should definitly keep us posted. I wish I could stumble upon such a find.

KombiMonster Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:03 am

It's nice to hear that they are parting with the stuff and not someone with a far fetch dream of fixing all the buses, ghias and bugs..So tell us some more about who this was..no names just alittle back ground info...Did they pass away and someone got the stash and does'nt want it?

UZI Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:05 am

ronnie, if it's within a 1000 mile radius of philadelphia, i'll gladly help!!!

doveblue3 Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:36 am

Lind wrote: splitpile wrote:

tht reminds me of last summer when we were digging through huge stacks of NOS parts at an undisclosed location when after spending a full day going through the building having covered most areas two or three times, I noticed a door that I hadn't been through. I opened it up and found an original upholstery nice six leg middle seat. I probably should have bought it, it was only $600. (it did get bought and I think it ended up in florida)

that seat went half way around the world to land here so todd could run a batch on it!

splitpile Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:31 pm

KombiMonster wrote: It's nice to hear that they are parting with the stuff and not someone with a far fetch dream of fixing all the buses, ghias and bugs..So tell us some more about who this was..no names just alittle back ground info...Did they pass away and someone got the stash and does'nt want it?

It all belonged to a old VW mechanic from at least the late 50's till he died. My friends bought it all, lock, stock and barrel directly from the the estate. The person running the estate has to be present when we open the one unopened building. We will also get to go into the work shop area and start loading all the TOOLS!!!

Who knows though, it all could just be junk :wink:

EverettB Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:33 pm

Grab me all the 311 and 316 stuff. :P

splitpile Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:34 pm

billyisme wrote: Hey Ronnie you need to pull a Geraldo Rivera and bring a video camera to record this "vault" opening. That'd be a fun movie to show on the big screen at this years BBB or Jerome!

I can do about 45 seconds at a time on my digi camera. I have to say OK go, now stop, OK go, now stop as they slowly open the doors to record it all

splitpile Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:35 pm

EverettB wrote: Grab me all the 311 and 316 stuff. :P

Yes EB, that has allready been inplanted in my brain

WharfRat Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:16 pm

are all of the buses pretty much beyond hope? if there is a kombi in good shape, drop me a PM.

obus Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:57 pm

clue us in --what state?

EverettB Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:44 pm

splitpile wrote: EverettB wrote: Grab me all the 311 and 316 stuff. :P

Yes EB, that has allready been inplanted in my brain
Kewl, my Type 3 stash thanks you

j.pickens Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:10 pm

Ronnie, I have a 22 ft. enclosed trailer with a pickup bed tow vehicle ready to go at a moment's notice, in case you need any help, and are within UZI range of Philly.

Just say the word....

Andrew Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:01 pm

If it's within a days drive of Western South Carolina, let me know, and I'll be there ASAP to help out.

Lind Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:04 pm

if its within five days drive of Moscow, Idaho, I would be willing to come help out. (will work for NOS parts) ;)

KombiMonster Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:50 pm

BaCK east?...

I'm looking for a rear Hurst bumper.. ....( OG ).. If you guys find one Drop me LINE!!!!

splitpile Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:18 pm

Well I made itout here, haven't made itto the stash yet but did see a place with at least 30 buses and went through a barn there and found some NOS beetle inner panels and a oval vert NOS door and a early 60's vert door and a few other goodies. Going back on Sunday afternoon to do some serious rooting there.
Then I went to anther house and saw a 69 Bay Westy that looks like it just came off the showroom floor, it's tent is still in the original box with the original WESTFALIA tape sealing the box! (trying to get a piece of it for Bricktop. There was also an original paint 47,000 original milage 63 bug and a orginal paint 62 SC, as clean as they come.
In the second garage he had a bicycle store built inside with at least 50 stingray bikes all mint with price tags and all.
I didn't think I would see so much today and forgot to bring the camera (am going bak before I leave to take pics.
Tomorrow we leave to go rooting through the stash, leaving Sat and Sunday for that and Monday if need be.
Not enough time to do/see it all
Will try and get pics up tomorrow

excuss the spelling it's late and I am on VW overload