TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Going non opp, I can't afford to fix her up right, help? Page: 1, 2  Next
kooyajerms Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:33 am

Ok I've been driving her daily driver for the last year + and right now I'm at a crossroads. I really need a dependable driver at the moment, and the bus is giving me some problems.

-Lost 4th gear and can only hold her in 4th for so long, messing the syncros there, does that juice the rest of my gears eventually?

-My camber? (toe-in) has come back on my front tires. I got it fixed a while back, but now my tires are getting bald on the outside again. It's been slight but after a couple months its pretty evident.

-Insurance is killing me. I can't see the justification of me (22) paying about 100 dollars a month for just liability! If I had one more vehicle in the household I could be using the Hagerty's and it would be all good.

so my question is, what would an estimate be, from you guys to get the transmission either fixed or replaced (parts labor)
the camber/cantor fixed?(parts labor)
-if you guys could give me a run down to what I should ask the mech for that would be cool.
-Would I want to get a new tranny and have the same mech install the tranny and get the camber fixed? San Gabriel valley, Can I afford George's expertise or can I afford not to use them.
-I used to have time, but right now I'm just juiced in time and juiced in cash flow, I need a vehicle but I also don't want to leave my baby sitting there.

If the best option is to buy a cheapo daily driver, I'm lookin for some cheap old car that will last hahaha. Anything that won't blow up on me. I know volvos are tanks. I was thinking diesel vw, saw a rabbit for $650. Just some suggestions of some beaters. Right now I'm thinking of a limit of 1200ish? If I'm being retarded call me out. I just want to be on the road again.

Thanks for your help fellas, and or ladies. My gratitude

billyisme Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:13 am

Here's my opinion: I don't know how tight your cash really is, but spending a few hundred on your bus now is WAY better than dropping $1,200 on some shitty diesel Rabbit. Plus, Your bus will only become more expensive to fix correctly if you let it sit.

1. Buy a stock rebuild tranny from Rancho and spend a Saturday swapping the transmission with a buddy. The trans itself isn't that expensive and the job is easy to do. Put a new clutch and throw-out bearing on while the motor is out--this will save you money and time in the future. You will feel like a man after this is done and you are driving around with a tranny that YOU installed.

2. You could have your entire front end rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks. Picture yourself driving a diesel Rabbit, and then think about how bitchin it is to drive your bus--it is worth it

3. You need to shop around for car insurance. $100/month for liability on an old bus is retarded-expensive.

marklaken Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:20 am

you might consider a cheaper insurance company...i am using proggressive...i am sure its crappy but it fulfills the law requirement...i have 4 cars on it (2 vw busses, a '99 saturn and a '94 mazda..full on the saturn, liability on all others...i pay $695 every 6 months...i'm 28 and married with a wife that has 4 speeding tix in 1 year..probably more of a hazard than you at 22 to the progressive folks)...given all that, your insurance seems crazy high...before i switched, i was paying $2000/year on three vehicles (1 bus, saturn and mazda)...good luck with the mechanical fixes...

in my opinion, a dependable car is invaluable...but at $1200 limit, you are going to be hard pressed to find anything that has fewer problems than fixing your bus (which would probably be in the same cost ball park and give you more satisfaction)...

i personally would avoid old watecooled vws...go for something japanese...they're crap but they seem to last forever

mynameismud Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:35 am

billyisme wrote:

2. You could have your entire front end rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks. Picture yourself driving a diesel Rabbit, and then think about how bitchin it is to drive your bus--it is worth it .

Right On.. :wink:

Lind Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:53 am

marklaken wrote: in my opinion, a dependable car is invaluable...

I fully agree, make that bus dependable.

WharfRat Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:15 am

you can fix your toe-in by yourself. all you need is a flat surface, two yardsticks, tools, and the muir book.

kooyajerms Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:06 pm

If yall can figure out how to stretch 24 hours into 36 I'm all for it man.

Ok lets say I go to rancho and get that tranny, how much would it cost to get it installed. I got squat for tools right now (just the usual maintenance stuff). If I had a retarded friend help me could we get it installed on a saturday (two retards to one bus)?

I'm sure if I brought it to a mech its gonna cost me bunches because of the time. So what would the cost be for the
-tranny, recommendation for a 1600 dp kads, stay with the stock, or go to a 3.88(ff)?
-new clutch
-throw out bearing
-seals and such
-tools I need to rent
Anyone have some simple instructions to do the job? Or a link to a post? I've searched on this a while ago and didn't find much.

My muir book is in the bus atm, what else do I need to get that camber goin. Remember time I don't have =(

Insurance: 100 is the average price from every company I've gone to. Because its a daily driver I can't get hagerty ( I want 200 a year insurance please!!!). I've yet to hear from a company below 90'ish. I've got no incidents or nothin. AAA Allstate Farmers, all of them. booo

Thanks again for the replies guys, I was feeling down leaving her at home. but getting to work is a necessity.

edgy Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:52 pm

Check the toe in before bothering to loosen it up. If the tires were wearing and then you fixed the toe, the tires will continue to wear in the same fashion even if the toe was corrected. Once tires are worn, replace them and get the front end aligned.

A diesel rabbit is cool but a bus is vintage. The bus will continue to increase in value, the diesel will just get old.

Kaput Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:54 pm

Don't know much bout the toe in, gotta do that myself soon. But I have AAA liability insurance on my bus for a little less than 20 a month. I do have a great driving record but I pay about 80 a month thru 21st for full coverage on my 2000 Toyota Tacoma.

I suggest going to either one of these companies for insurance since neither have brokers who get a cut of your payment!

P.S. i live in Orange County CA wich is one of the higest zones for insurance. you ar getting reamed!

spookymulder Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:05 pm

I'd check a few other classic car insurers as they generally have 3 items to think about before you qualify. 1) they don't want you to race or rally it. 2) They prefer you don't drive it to work daily 3) usually stipend that there is a 2500 mile cap per annum. If you fit any of these you could insure with one carrier for 2500 and switch to another one 6 months later or be real bad and unhook your speedo! As for the non op if ever anyone in California forgets to do this and is stuck with late fees from several years of non registration there is a provision in the Vehicle Code Article 5051 which provides that if your vehicle is 25 years old and you are a collector of said type of vehicle that the DMV will wave all late fees! Yeah baby

Tribalbus Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:53 pm

spookymulder wrote: or be real bad and unhook your speedo.

.....guilty as charged. :oops: i have a specailty car insurance from AAA.its a agreed value policy only stipulation is no more than 2500{?} miles annually .so ....i......you know,i love to drive the bus!if you have a decent bus i would highly suggest a similar policy,if you go with a regular old "household" policy YOU WILL GET SCREWED if the vehicle is a total loss or its stolen......Louis

kooyajerms Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:39 pm

The insurance tricks I know all about, and none of those will work for me. two person household with two cars. no garage. i rack up the miles, or well i used to. Special agreed value insurance or hagerty which is sweet won't float if I don't have a daily driver to take place of the bus.

The tranny problem is my biggest issue at the moment, I'm not gonna drivve long hours with my back hunched like that. Bungee cord won't do, when it pops out, it doesn't go neutral so I'm not gonna risk that every time since I'm in california traffic.

Still not looking too good on keeping my bus roadside.

Tribalbus Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:01 pm

i just think that $1200 would be of better use on that bus o' yours.$1200 would more than fix the tranny and alignment problems.and above all $1200 is going to buy you another vehicle w/ equilly as much problems or more.shit, $12,000 doesn't even get you a descent car these days.ya can keep those plastic cars...i'll take the bus :wink:

WharfRat Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:35 pm

no one offers an agreed value daily driver policy? what would the value of a bus that is really worth ten grand from a normal insurance policy?

dstefun Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:04 pm

Here's how to do the tranny, step by step...
http://type2.com/library/drivetra/tranrem.htm

It's not hard to do but you are sure to need something else once you get into it so it's hard to be prepared for everything. (Brakes, bearings, mounts, seals, gaskets, stripped bolts, etc.) Thus you should be prepared with alternate transportation for a few days. If you don't have the proper tools then you need help from someone who does. You can't go wrong buying tools but when $ are short we all understand.
Good luck!
Dave

OB Bus Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:22 pm

In December I finally could go no longer with the trans in my '69. I had to hang on tight to the shifter to hold it in 4th.
Went to my local shop (Rich's VW in Ocean Beach); they pulled the trans and sent it to the local tranny guru (Pat at ITS transmissions in El Cajon. Note: ITS does not install/remove; carry in only.) Found out that the trans was utterly shot. So a completely redone trans, clutch, pressure plate, labor, etc. was $1250. Money well spent.
I am too old/weak/chicken to do the labor myself.
The bus is now wonderful! I can drive without one hand on the shifter.

As Lind says, "make that bus reliable"

Amen.

P.S. I ended up with putting the insurance on my regular Wawanesa policy. Cost was really low with no mileage restrictions.

DubStyle Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:20 am

spookymulder wrote: or be real bad and unhook your speedo.

Instead of just disconnecting it swap it out for another one atleast you know how fast your going. If you wreck just make sure to swap it back before you see the adjuster or before your next visit to the Insurance Office.

BTW kooyajerms tranny swap is pretty much cake. The only tools you probably don't have are the socket for the cross brace for the tranny and snap ring plyers. If you have a typical socket set you can any other retard can do it. As far as spending cash goes drop it into your Bus you'll appreciated it more and find later on down the road it was a great investment when you roll it to the Classic. 8)

Tribalbus Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:02 am

[quote="DubStyle"
Instead of just disconnecting it swap it out for another one atleast you know how fast your going.

also did that recently.took my old one out.a friend of mine gave me a clear needle speedo thats in km.at first i still had problems knowing how fast i was going :roll: ,until i brushed up on my metric system skills and conversions.you nailed that one on the head dubstyle,just swap when i go back........Louis

kooyajerms Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:15 am

AHHHHHHHHHH I still can't decide what to do on this situation. half of me is aggreeing with you guys and make it reliable, while the other half says, you'll save money on the insurance and will have better coverage if you buy the beater ride.

What are some downsides to diesels? Straight vegetable oil is looking real good right about now compared to buying premium gasoline.

100 bucks a month to 70 . liability to two cars on full coverage. better mileage

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a nice diesel jetta 1200 (its not impossible, forget the rabbit!) + insurance 50 bucks a month lets say.

Putting the bus on hagerty for like 200 a year so 16 a month on insurance that is actually covered well, no liability junk.

Have a daily driver / old eighties nineties jetta I can drive whereever and save money on fuel. maybe even convert to the SVO :twisted:

Have the bus non op, but when the time comes I can try to install the tranny or make enough money to get someone else to install it and fix my front end. While I work on my panels and interior and such. All the while covred from being stolen bashed broken instead of ..... liability. The second car rule is a big tease

I need some guidance on this issue guys, if you can weigh it out and see things I'm not seeing, please input. Been grinding my mind on this.
Much gratitude

Jerms

Bart Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:39 am

kooyajerms wrote: vegetable oil is looking real good right about now compared to buying premium gasoline.

Better read up on that. It is not quite as simple as it sounds. You can't just pour vegetable oil in and run it. It has to be "cracked", filtered and preheated before running it. Also it is very messy. Who wants to collect used cooking oil. Just fix your bus man.