TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Not Fond of Virginia Weather
jeremyrockjock Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:00 pm

I have lived in Va for a little over 5 years now and I still hate it. I was working on the air shock setup for my 59's IRS and it was not going well so I was already in a bad mood. My garage/shop is filled with my projects in peices and I dont have alot of room when everything is inside. So my bus nose is sticking out of the garage and I'm banging my head trying to make shocks fit where VW engineers never intended when all of a sudden the rain starts dumping. (note: it was really hot and sunny today) Well here I am with my wheel off and the front windsheilds removed and my newly fabbed bare metal cab floor is getting drenched. I was freaking out and running around trying to get the bus back in the garage. After a bit I got the wheel back on which was not easy since the bus is lowered 3 inches and then got the bus inside. I had to start mopping the water from the floor because it had already started to rust. I just needed to vent. It has not been a good day. :(

RobzKombi Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:09 pm

Dont let it get to you, keep banging it out rain or shine. Youll get to the day when you say "dayum I guess it was worth it" and you take a step back and admire that beauty thats in front of you now and you throw back a cold beverage. Good days are still ahead.

jeremyrockjock Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:11 pm

Easy for you to say Robert from always sunny and warm socal. :D 8)

RobzKombi Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:15 pm

:lol: Yea we do see alot of sunshine here. Just trying keep your spirits up bro. :D At least your getting some work done on your ride there are people out there that just let them sit and rot. :evil:

jeremyrockjock Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:17 pm

I will. :wink: I moved here from NorCal so I miss the Ca weather. Very predictable.

vwjosh6070 Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:21 pm

shit, before my windows were installed, i used to push the bus out into my driveway so i could show her off and work on the rust. well one day, i had parts everywhere in the garage just thrown all over, and the bus was outside. it started poring down rain, i was pissed and freaked out! rain was getting everywhere inside the bus. i went inside the garage and started kicking everything outta the way and went outside ant the rain stopped. so i figured, ok, that was a bitch. i start workin on her again, and lo and behold my dad comes out to work on his bike, so then he starts throwin all of his bike parts everywhere, and it starts raining again! he moves all of his $hit outta the way, and, once again, it stops raining. now, you would think i would be smart enough to put the bus back in the garage, but no, i continued to work on rust. then it rained again, and this time i put her back in the garage and she hasnt been out since. (this happened back in jan.) so i know how you feel jeremy. that is one reason why im moving to california, its sunny. :wink:

mynameismud Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:51 pm

I lived in both Geogia and Virgina and hated them both (thou VA. wasn't too bad since I was outside of DC- traffic was a bitch thou). Now I live in Indianapolis- NO WATER, NO MOUTAINS and STILL the F'n humidity to drive you nuts, plus the "pop-up" storms that catch me by surprise while I'm dring my Jeep with the top down. Any more I just say F-it and let the sun dry it out-

DanM Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:09 pm

jeremyrockjock wrote: ... and I'm banging my head trying to make shocks fit where VW engineers never intended when all of a sudden...

you should be thanking the rain for washing all this goddamn pollen off of everything! can't wait to see that bus this year

iamdonquixote Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:16 am

hey I used to go to Charlottesville _every_ summer to work on my aunts farm. Its to godamn hot & muggy down there. east coast weather is pretty much cursed, you just have to ignore it the best you can.
I used to work on my bus outside my U-stor-It garage. One time I had my engine out and that rain you described came suddenly ( except it was a farking cold day ).
The comments like "jus relax" from people who live in mild climates is a ridiculous.

You're on the East Coast now - you will never relax; just just harden.

TimB Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:57 am

I hear ya precious_ponies, I was in Boston on Easter Sunday and I think it was 34 degrees. I made a call back to So Cal to wish the family a happy Easter and there like "yeah it's like 75 and the sun is out" and you can tell they had no idea what cold was. I was walking back to my hotel room from the Red Sox game and ended the call faster than I intended since my chin was freezing. Now I know to a lot of you 34 is not cold, but where I'm from it never gets that cold.

hazetguy Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:36 am

Quote: So my bus nose is sticking out of the garage......
Well here I am with my wheel off and the front windsheilds removed and my newly fabbed bare metal cab floor is getting drenched. I was freaking out and running around trying to get the bus back in the garage.

buy a tarp. :)
they make good temporary rain protection and are faster to install than trying to put a wheel back on, moving a bunch of crap, and pushing a bus.

jeremyrockjock Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:00 am

Actually I did throw a tarp over it but by that point the floor was soaked. I didn't see the storm coming cause it was dark. Today has been better. I got my shock issue solved (I hope) and my title came in the mail.

RobzKombi Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:27 am

You see, a better day did come :D

WharfRat Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:29 am

it'll be a LOT more fun once the humidity stays at 100% for three months straight, and all of the skeeters want to get to know you more intimately....