TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing Bellypan...Sawzall...?
staceyz Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:47 pm

I'm going to take the body of my 58 dlx to the beadblasters on Monday, and I want the belly pans off for the process. The entire front 2" of the orig. belly pan is rusted right through, it is a little crunchy on some of the sides near the rockers, and there are a few holes in the back. I'm not sure if the original pans are worth trying to save (ie, drilling out the spotwelds..hours!.. or should I just sawsall them out.?)

I did buy new belly pans from Metwiz, they are not too bad, the "X" patterns look a little homemade (wobbly) but next to original or NOS, they are probably the best out there.

Love to hear yer opinions...

(ps- this is a full on restoration)

spookymulder Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:55 pm

Why not use a 4" grinder if they are that thin it will cruise right through it and you don't have the potential of cutting something you can't see!

jeremyrockjock Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:35 am

If you not saving them them yes a sawsall will do it. You just have to be careful where you cut. I used a impact driver and plowed through the spot welds but it took a long time and was very loud. But I was saving the pans.

staceyz Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:51 am

I guess I was also wondering by my description of the pan, if I should make an effort to save them. I'm not sure how much metal one can graft into belly pans.

Jeremy, are you saving your belly pan for a pattern, or are you going to try and fix it up?

jeremyrockjock Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:57 am

I was removing them for another guy to go on his 61 DD panel. I don't have the tools to reproduce them. Kelly Browns the man for that.