TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: wolfgang straight axle kit
jimig-88 Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:21 pm

I'm going to install the Wolfgang straight axle kit in my panel bus, but which transmission set-up is better? Use the stock bug transmission, or a transmission that is geared as a "freeway flyer"? I talked to the technician at Wolfgang, and he told me to use the stock geared bug tranny. My friend is telling me to use the freeway flyer? Wolfgang said I would need a big motor to pull the bus if I use the freeway flyer. My friend seems to think that a 1600 motor would pull the car just fine. Anyone out there that has any experience with this set-up, could you let me know![/list]

23window Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:50 am

Wolfgang is correct in this instance.
You will need a bigger engine with a freeway flyer tranny or your gearing will be too tall. Freeway Flyers are commonly seen with redux box bus rear ends where a 3.88 ring and pinion have been installed in conjunction with the redux boxes.
I had a 3.88 rp IRS set up with a stock 1600 and it was too tall. I went with a 4.12 and its fine. I've even considered going with a 4.37 Euro IRS setup to lowered that top gear.

SHSC Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:57 am

How the fuck did people lower thier buses before the internet??

rizzag Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:01 am

i agree with 23 window. if you are planning on staying with a stock engine stay with stock gears.

in my westy i had straight axle with a 3.88 ring and pinion and a .82 4th gear. before i built my 1776 i had a good used 1600 in it just to drive around with and im not joking, i could NOT speed up on the freeway in 4th gear! i would put it in 4th, step on the gas and the motor would just laugh at me! once i put my 1776 in it was alot better but still pretty tall. it was a little doggy still but once i got up to speed i could really haul ass!

rizzag Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:03 am

SHSC wrote: How the fuck did people lower thier buses before the internet??
we actually had to figure this stuff out on our own. its almost funny when i think how much work i put into figuring out this stuff on my own. the internet has made everything easier for everyone.

DubStyle Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:10 pm

SHSC wrote: How the fuck did people lower thier buses before the internet??

The old fashion way... You asked questions and took NOTES at shows. Called your bus buddies and you did the trial and error thing. I think the easiest way was to buy a IRS kit that was complete from a local. :wink:

Long-roofs Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:24 pm

That's funny, when I lowered my first bus 13 years ago, it took a month to figure out how to do the rear, with finding the right brakes, axles etc.... Asking people that didn't know sure made it tough.