TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another newbie with questions
rob_lewis Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:03 am

First of all, I did search, but couldn't seem to find a straight answer. I'm looking to buy my first Split, a '59 S/C. However, it has no motor and the rear has been converted to IRS. I emailed the seller about it in regards to the rear, but thought I would ask here, also.

1) Does the body need to be cut to put the IRS in? I'm looking for more of an original/driver, so if it's been cut, I'll probably pass.
2) I assume the IRS removes the reduction boxes. Is that correct?
3) The reason I'm asking about the rb's is that I have a stock (actually, bored .020 over) '60 1200 sitting on my bench in the garage. I'm in the process of cleaning it up for a light rebuild. Motor looks to be in good shape, but it needs a good cleaning (the oil is as thick as 70w!). Would the 1200 bolt up to the IRS? If the IRS has no rb's, would I even be able to drive it or will the 1200 not push it enough? I'm not looking for a 80mph on the freeway, but also don't want the thing to top out at 40.
4) Not sure if it has an interior at all. What's a cheap bench I could use until I find an original (i.e. what other bench seats fit?)

Thanks.
-Rob

rizzag Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:08 am

1. the body does not need to be cut for IRS, however there may be tabs welded to the torsion housing.

2. IRS does remove the reduction boxes

3. bored 1200 we in the vw world like to call a big bore 40hp

4. a 40hp with IRS and stock size tires would be hell to drive, it would be the biggest dog.

5. any bench seat should get you by

rob_lewis Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:28 am

rizzag wrote: 4. a 40hp with IRS and stock size tires would be hell to drive, it would be the biggest dog.

That's what I was afraid of. I really didn't want one with IRS, but it's a pretty good deal. If it's still for sale, I guess I could sell/trade the IRS for the swing and rb's.

Thanks.

-Rob

NAES Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:30 am

I've got the RB's that you can have for next to nothing. Let me know if it gets to that point.

crofty Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:43 am

If you run IRS don't you have to re-located the upper shock mount?

WharfRat Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:51 pm

check www.dropgates.com, there are several single cabs for sale on there that are still stock height.

VDUBMAN 79 Sat May 01, 2004 11:19 am

If you want to run reduction boxes, you will never go 80 mph. 55 is likely top be your top speed. So you better decide now, the IRS conversion already installed? Great deal in my opinion especially if you want improved handling and speed.

Clara Sun May 02, 2004 11:12 am

VDUBMAN 79 wrote: If you want to run reduction boxes, you will never go 80 mph. 55 is likely top be your top speed. So you better decide now, the IRS conversion already installed? Great deal in my opinion especially if you want improved handling and speed.

in my 61 I regularly drive 60...about 3100-3200 rpms, and I'm a pretty conservative driver... it will easily go 70 w/o topping out. I never pushed it past 75, which didn't top it out (yes on the flat) with 4.38 r/p, and 1.26 (big nut) RGBs and 205 75 15 tires, 1600 sp. If you use a 4.12 or FF 3.88 r/p it'll go faster.
IRS is for Bay Windows... gimme that splitty ride!
Looks like a brick and it drives like a truck

VDUBMAN 79 Sun May 02, 2004 12:35 pm

OK Clara, But you didn't do almost 75 with a stock tranny and you also don't have a 1200 motor do you?

23window Sun May 02, 2004 12:47 pm

crofty wrote: If you run IRS don't you have to re-located the upper shock mount?

Yes. If you narrow the rear, you might have to relocate the lowers also.

Clara Sun May 02, 2004 5:08 pm

VDUBMAN 79 wrote: OK Clara, But you didn't do almost 75 with a stock tranny and you also don't have a 1200 motor do you?

My 61 has stock gearing for an early 64...which went with a 40hp. Ya I can easily do well over 55 w/ RGBs, which you said would be top speed w/ RGBs. I dunno how much the power difference is between rob_lewis' big bore 40hp and a 1600sp, but probably not a whole lot. I think my dad's 63 SC has the same gearing, it has 40hp heads, dunno what size inside. He drives faster than I do, I'm happy putting in the slow lane at 60. There are different gearings that had RGBs, you know, some are lower than mine (some higher)

Though for getting a first splitty, it'd be easier to buy one with a good tranny already in there.