TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil cooler
66split Mon May 03, 2004 10:04 am

Does anyone use an external oil cooler with a fan? I am looking to see which kit would be a good quality kit and where to purchase it. I think i heard you can mount them over the tranny fine. I will be running this in an external FF oil filter system along with the stock doghouse cooler.

rizzag Mon May 03, 2004 10:12 am

i ran the 72 pass mesa with fan on my old 67 bug. it worked great above the tranny. i believe the one i used was bugpack packaged but it was a mesa. i also used a rabbit radiator cooling fan switch that turned the fan on at 180 degrees.

Lind Mon May 03, 2004 10:14 am

slightly off-topic here. I subscribe to the Gene Berg theory that oil doesn't cool your heads. therefore, I think that an exhaust gas temperature gauge (pyrometer) is a good way to keep an eye on what is creating the heat to begin with. I'm not saying that a little extra oil cooling capacity couldn't help for a big engine, just look where the heat is coming from as to help keep your heads cool.

rizzag Mon May 03, 2004 10:19 am

i agree with you lind. i think the extra oil cooler can help head temps slightly but if there is a problem up top there is no way thats going to resolve the problem.

Eaallred Mon May 03, 2004 12:28 pm

Lind wrote: slightly off-topic here. I subscribe to the Gene Berg theory that oil doesn't cool your heads.

Actually, Gene NEVER thought that. He felt that the oil helped considerably at removing heat from the heads, and that was why he felt synthetic oil was a bad idea (he thought it had poor heat transfer).