TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I think I just blew up my motor!
Hawaiian64 Tue May 04, 2004 2:59 am

I live in Hawaii and this morning I was driving my 64 bus to the beach. The only road leading to the place I wanted to go has a considerable hill and I had to punch it to get to the top. Midway through I was flooring it going only 25-30 mph. I couldnt pull over because of the heavy traffic in back of me and I was on a one lane road. When I finaly reachd the top and found a place to pull over my bus died while I was still in gear. I checked the engine and to my surprise found oil dripping on the ground. When I checked the dipstick it was almost to hot to handle and smoke was coming out when I pulled it out. I then tried to start my bus but it only clicked once. I towed it home and it hasnt started since. any opinions as to what happened.[/b]

jeremyrockjock Tue May 04, 2004 3:46 am

Can you turn it over by hand?

Clara Tue May 04, 2004 8:22 am

do a compression test ... are all cylinders above 100 and within 5psi of each other?

66split Tue May 04, 2004 8:47 am

ummm..... you can't do a compression test if you can't turn the crank.....

Glenn Tue May 04, 2004 8:53 am

Sounds like you cooked it.

Remove the sparkplugs, squirt in some oil and try to turn it by hand.

jerry.t Tue May 04, 2004 9:24 am

was the front of the car behind you coverd in oil ? :D

tasb Tue May 04, 2004 6:16 pm

Sounds like you were driving up from Waipio Valley north of Hilo? That stretch of "road" is notorious for burning up clutches and engines. If your oil was smoking you were way too hot and have likely done some damage. If the crank is locked up and will not turn your engine is toast-you have metal fused to metal. If it still turns over you will have to do a variety of diagnostics to determine exactly what has been damaged but you HAVE done some damage.

Chillkoot Tue May 04, 2004 9:42 pm

[email protected] wrote: Sounds like you were driving up from Waipio Valley north of Hilo? That stretch of "road" is notorious for burning up clutches and engines. .

he was going to the beach not comeing out.....

and there isnt that much traffic comeing otaa waipio....

its funny Brkn works at budget people are bummeed to find out you arent allowed to drive a rentl down there...

also I wouldnt drive down waipio w/o 4 wheel.. but that IMO...