TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: cargo windows in a 59 panel?
Stanw3 Thu May 06, 2004 2:54 pm

So I'm looking at a 59 panel double door - the passenger side has windows (VW glass - not home-made) in the cargo doors. Was this a factory option or has someone just swapped the doors? I didn't see an M-Code plate - does a 59 even have one?

Thanks

Lind Thu May 06, 2004 3:20 pm

an early '59 wouldn't have an M-code plate.

I have seen several panels with window doors. I don't believe that there was an M-code for it. I always suspected dealership switchouts of the original doors.

BUCIOBATISTI Thu May 06, 2004 3:43 pm

That looks to me like it might have been a Panel converted Firetruck since it's Red all over. I've seen all kinds of wierd setups on early Firetrucks where they put windows in for light for the rear of the Bus. Any signs of jump seats or holders for axes, shovels, hoses, helmets, coats, etc. inside?

SHSC Thu May 06, 2004 3:57 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: That looks to me like it might have been a Panel converted Firetruck since it's Red all over. I've seen all kinds of wierd setups on early Firetrucks where they put windows in for light for the rear of the Bus. Any signs of jump seats or holders for axes, shovels, hoses, helmets, coats, etc. inside?

But I doubt it was an American firetruck, I don't see any semaphores.

Stanw3 Thu May 06, 2004 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Right now the bus is full of junk so I haven't looked around much. I went ahead and bought it - figured what the hell - it was cheap- complete - and running when parked. I'll let you know more when I get it home and gut it.

Stanw3 Thu May 06, 2004 4:26 pm

and...the inside has red paint all over that is flaking off like paper. Wierd. Where fire trucks painted inside too?

volksfahrer.nl Fri May 07, 2004 3:19 am

My 66 panel was a fire truck from factory.
The cab was painted red but the cargo area wasn't.
Also the red on your pictures look different from
my red.

My bus had windows cut in both side but they were plexiglass ones.

jeremyrockjock Fri May 07, 2004 4:44 am

My 59 has no M-code plate. They didn't put them on until Oct 58 and mine is August 58.

Hella Bro Fri May 07, 2004 5:02 am

Looks as if someone just replaced the solid cargo doors with windowed versions.

Scotty Fri May 07, 2004 5:15 am

I've seen pictures of fire trucks with random side windows in different locations, such as 1 window near the rear of the long side. I've seen quite a few with windows in the doors, I'd say if it was a fire truck then it came from the factory like that.

Scotty Fri May 07, 2004 5:20 am

Scotty Fri May 07, 2004 5:26 am

Scotty Fri May 07, 2004 5:28 am

Scotty Fri May 07, 2004 5:32 am

Stanw3 Fri May 07, 2004 8:13 pm

Thanks for the pics scotty. I put the bus up for sale - but If I keep it, it will be cool to just cruise it as is. I'll give it a good bath next week and see what's hiding in the cargo area. If it has firetruck stuff - I'll probably just keep it as a beater to haul parts in!