TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Solex 34 how big?
Flatfront Mon May 10, 2004 8:35 pm

Thinking about using a single carb setup using a 34 solex and was wondering how big an engine it can handle?

Tribalbus Mon May 10, 2004 9:04 pm

this is my OPINION so take it for what its worth.first of all i'm not big fan of the pict 34 period.very problematic carb.i would not run that carb on anything bigger than it was a intended for:a 1600 dp.a lean fuel mixture is a vw engines worst enemy.an engine is nothing more than a big air-pump.the bigger you go and the more efficient you make it ie,big valves,heads,cam the more carboration and exhaust you need to accomidate that.i thing those single progressive webers are crap because they don't allow proper atomazation of fuel and some cylinders tend to run richer/leaner than others.this has been my experience with them.i currently run a 1776 with a duel kadron set-up.i'm impressed,reliable,cheap and easy to maintain.i know some are turned off by duels because you have to "sink" them ,but that the nature of the game.mine have needed little adjustment.just my take on things........Louis

truckersmike Tue May 11, 2004 3:37 pm

You could use a 34 up to a 1776 if needed. And I don't think they are that bad. Well maybe the new ones they put out now but I've had mine for some time and it works well. Orginal German, just rebuilt. If you jet it right and use a vacuum advance dizzy, then they work well.