TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Most shipped bus...
bigbulli Tue May 11, 2004 11:57 pm

With all the shipping of buses around the globe I was wondering if anyone bus can claim to be shipped the most? Has any bus been shipped to the UK from the States and then back again, or vise versa? Any interesting stories out there?

SHSC Wed May 12, 2004 12:06 am

what about the school bus?

Rusting Hulk Wed May 12, 2004 12:35 am

What about the BD Deluxe 'april' remember seeing it at BVF in 91' then a pic of it in Germany,i think its back in the States now. Correct me if i am wrong

Lind Wed May 12, 2004 1:13 am

SHSC wrote: what about the school bus?

the school bus came over to the states in the 50s, then back to germany, then back to the states in '04 so we have three transatlantic voyages, can anyone top that?

obus Wed May 12, 2004 4:57 am

that is one short bus that i would want to be seen in!

bigbulli Wed May 12, 2004 6:20 am

Rusting Hulk wrote: What about the BD Deluxe 'april' remember seeing it at BVF in 91' then a pic of it in Germany,i think its back in the States now. Correct me if i am wrong

I remember reading about April, (a little before my time Simon :lol: ). I believe it did return to the US.

Anyone beat the School Bus / April? Didn't the fake 15 window BD in Japan come from Sweden, was shipped to Wales and then to the States and then to Japan?

pyrOman Wed May 12, 2004 7:17 am

Don't know 'bout "beating that" but I can claim ownership and have records to back up the "travels" of my previous bus. Bought in El Cajon, California in '87, taken to Puerto Rico in '92, to Florida in '95, and finally back to San Diego, California in '97. :shock:

It eventually ended up in "the great bus heaven in the sky" in '01. :cry: But its spirit still lives in my present bus as well as others which were in need of some "body parts" to keep them alive! :D

DanM Wed May 12, 2004 7:54 am

Lind wrote: can anyone top that?

i think i remember hearing about an so-23 camper that was purchased via the tourist delivery program in germany, driven around europe, then shipped back to the states, then again taken to europe and back for a later vacation. i'm not sure who's bus it was, i'll try and figure it out.
wasnt it vw who shipped the school bus over here and then back to germany the first time? if so i think that disqualifies the bus from the running.

Lind Wed May 12, 2004 9:18 am

so-23 wrote: wasnt it vw who shipped the school bus over here and then back to germany the first time? if so i think that disqualifies the bus from the running.

how does that disqaulify it? it did cross the ocean three times regardless of the owner. and technically, VW owned all of the buses that came to the USA on their first trip across the atlantic.

the.fordhams Wed May 12, 2004 9:35 am

Bought my 67 Window from Hannoverwerks, California in May 2003 and had it shipped to the UK where I was living at the time. Only I lost my job but managed to get a job in the US in August 2003. So the bus was repaired and UK MOT'd, registered in the UK and then shipped back again to arrive in NC last December.

So that's two trans atlantic crossings in under a year - one in a container from CA to the UK and one on a roll on roll off from the UK to NC. Incidentally I did the same with my 62 Karmann Beetle - CA, UK, NC.

Lets say relocation packages were generous, and we have no plans to return to the UK.

EverettB Wed May 12, 2004 9:39 am

Lind wrote: technically, VW owned all of the buses that came to the USA on their first trip across the atlantic.
Except for Tourist-delivery or people who migrated to the USA :D

WharfRat Wed May 12, 2004 10:42 am

along this same vein, anyone have any idea as to the bus with the most documented miles on it?

Lind Wed May 12, 2004 11:10 am

WharfRat wrote: along this same vein, anyone have any idea as to the bus with the most documented miles on it?

I know of two buses with over 500k miles on them.

one is Jack Maynard's '65 kombi and the other was a '63 deluxe that belongs to a VW mechanic named Kevin who lives outside bishop, california.

bigbulli Wed May 12, 2004 12:15 pm

the.fordhams wrote: Bought my 67 Window from Hannoverwerks, California in May 2003 and had it shipped to the UK where I was living at the time. Only I lost my job but managed to get a job in the US in August 2003. So the bus was repaired and UK MOT'd, registered in the UK and then shipped back again to arrive in NC last December.

So that's two trans atlantic crossings in under a year - one in a container from CA to the UK and one on a roll on roll off from the UK to NC. Incidentally I did the same with my 62 Karmann Beetle - CA, UK, NC.

Lets say relocation packages were generous, and we have no plans to return to the UK.

Did you sell a late split westy to Graham at FBIVW?

FBIVW Wed May 12, 2004 3:28 pm

bigbulli wrote: the.fordhams wrote: Bought my 67 Window from Hannoverwerks, California in May 2003 and had it shipped to the UK where I was living at the time. Only I lost my job but managed to get a job in the US in August 2003. So the bus was repaired and UK MOT'd, registered in the UK and then shipped back again to arrive in NC last December.

Did you sell a late split westy to Graham at FBIVW?

Yes he did quite a while ago though and quite a bit of work ago too.

The fake 15 in japan came from sweden then went to finland then england then wales then Japan.

A few journeys there for an old bus.

Lind Wed May 12, 2004 3:33 pm

of course there was the swiss family that drove their kombi around the world in the late 50s/early 60s. there was a piece of literature about that one.

Daniel Wed May 12, 2004 3:52 pm

WharfRat wrote: along this same vein, anyone have any idea as to the bus with the most documented miles on it?

There were a couple I saw at a recent show that had 600,000 plus miles on them.

We have a few LHD buses down here, don't know much about their history, but would've been quite trip to get them down here.

Long-roofs Wed May 12, 2004 6:01 pm

I have a customer with a '65 with 900,000 plus miles on it, he bought it in '69 and loves it....I f*ckin' hate it, custom shit interior and he's always looking for used door seals and used emerg. brake cables.....