TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: outrigger and crossmember replacement
zimblewinder Wed May 12, 2004 6:42 am

Hi all
Ive had alot of panel beating experience (bumps and bruises) but never had to do replacement welding. With my new project its time to roll out the MIG and put in some replacement metal. The outriggers and front cross member have to be replaced as well as the inner and outer rockers and side belly pans. Id like to hear what processes you recommend. Should I remove the floor, or just roll up the sides? The centre belly pan is in good condition so should I take that out to replace the crossmember?

As these are pretty standard replacements/repairs Im sure some of you have a step by step process you follow. What can you recommend?

Thanks

zimblewinder Wed May 12, 2004 9:16 am

Maybe I should have put this in the body section but because I want split panel replacement info specifically is here ok? Bus restorers...what's the right way? Cross member, outriggers, rocker inners, rockers, or a different order? floor out or still in? Centre belly pan out or still in? Tips, dont do this specific points...etc. This seems like a big job to me so Id appreciate some direction. Thanks

krusher Wed May 12, 2004 10:04 am

I would say replace what you realy have to, if a panel is half rusty you may be able to cut off the rusted part back to solid metal, and then weld in part of the replace ment panel.

I say this in regards to the front cross section, somtimes by trying to cut a whole panel out like this you simply end up hacking up the surounding panels also. So disturb as little good metal as possible.

The sills/rockers arnt to much of a problem, the inner sill is attached to the inner T sections and cross sections, so if you can cut off the inner and outer rocker and small part of floor above, then clean off the ends of the cross sections, and its a jigsaw of 3 pieces from there, add the inner rocker to the cross sections, then add the outer rocker to that, then finish off by finishing the floor off above.

Dont try to tackle your welding as a whole, make a plan of small areas then tackel one at once.

Also I tell most people i could teach them to weld in 30 minutes, its making the panels fit and be inline before you weld them in thats is the art.

Its could take 3 hours to get a to get a panel in positon and fitting and then only 10 mins to weld it in, so never pick up the welded till it fits.

Hope that helps. :D

zimblewinder Wed May 12, 2004 8:12 pm

thanks Krusher

Unfortunately all the metal Im replacing really has to go. So lifting the floor seems a good idea. I want the work to be as nice as possible so believe me Im taking my time. ok any other tips people?