TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: my 1st mystery bus Page: 1, 2  Next
motothronton Fri May 14, 2004 5:52 pm

I just purchased a 1967 VW bus. Not really sure what I have? I got it for $500 bucks(title & #'s all match)! It has front Safari windows, and 9 other windows. It has 2 barn doors on the drivers side of bus. Minor rust, nothing my welder can not fix. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Day! Can anybody tell me what I have? Thanks Adam

Okie Adam Fri May 14, 2004 6:00 pm

Barndoors are actually pre '55 buses. you have 2 cargo doors on the side. You will either have a 11window or 13window from the sound of it. Any pics? Are you counting the windshields in the 9? If not you should which would make it an 11window. What Color or colors is it? Sounds like a great find.

motothronton Fri May 14, 2004 6:16 pm

Thanks 1%er. It has 2 Safari fronts , driver, passanger windows. & 3 down each side including the rear. I'm stoked to have my 1st bus. I have had my bugs,but a bus is the bomb. I'ts my mid life crisis project me & my kid will appricate. It's white in top & red below. The rear seat sits long ways when the barn doors are opened. Could I have a model from overseas? thanks Adam

Okie Adam Fri May 14, 2004 6:20 pm

You should have two seats in the rear, both facing forward. Sounds like an 11window. Safaris are ultra cool too. If it is original paint and a '67 it is probably titan red. Is it a walk through or a bench seat model(front seat)? And on your side windows does it have 2 pop outs or 6? Pics would be awesome.

BryanM Fri May 14, 2004 6:25 pm

motothronton wrote: Thanks 1%er. It has 2 Safari fronts , driver, passanger windows. & 3 down each side including the rear. I'm stoked to have my 1st bus. I have had my bugs,but a bus is the bomb. I'ts my mid life crisis project me & my kid will appricate. It's white in top & red below. The rear seat sits long ways when the barn doors are opened. Could I have a model from overseas? thanks Adam

sounds like you have a Kombi or standard. Your best bet is to post the VIN # and M-codes, M-codes are on a plate behind the passenger front seat.
And a tip. dont call the side doors "barn doors" . Barndoor is a term for pre-55 busses and it gets annoying and sometimes misleading when used improperly. Just call them cargo doors.
Congrats on the bus . they are a load of fun if you have the patience to stick with them.

SHSC Fri May 14, 2004 6:26 pm

motothronton wrote: The rear seat sits long ways when the barn doors are opened. Could I have a model from overseas? thanks Adam

I think that they were built overseas!!

Okie Adam Fri May 14, 2004 6:32 pm

SHSC wrote: motothronton wrote: The rear seat sits long ways when the barn doors are opened. Could I have a model from overseas? thanks Adam

I think that they were built overseas!!

clever, clever.

SHSC Fri May 14, 2004 6:35 pm

one percenter wrote:

clever, clever.

You will need to explain the barndoor thing to him again.

motothronton Fri May 14, 2004 6:36 pm

When the cargo doors open the seat is facing horizontal ,not across. I will have to take some pictures one day. The place of orgin it typed Perlweif L87 by the vin #. The 3 windows on each side of bus all have levers that work to ventalate windows. I read the information about purchasing a bus on a earlier post, very help full. Thanks Adam

Okie Adam Fri May 14, 2004 6:37 pm

singlesquared wrote: sounds like you have a Kombi or standard.

If in fact it is original paint, in this case two tone, wouldnt that mean it is a standard and not a kombi?

singlesquared wrote: And a tip. dont call the side doors "barn doors" . Barndoor is a term for pre-55 busses and it gets annoying and sometimes misleading when used improperly. Just call them cargo doors.
Congrats on the bus . they are a load of fun if you have the patience to stick with them.

I hear a second, is there a third on this?

SHSC Fri May 14, 2004 6:38 pm

motothronton wrote: The place of orgin it typed Perlweif L87 by the vin #. The 3 windows on each side of bus all have levers that work to ventalate windows.

Thats the color Pearl White. You read anything about M code plates?

Okie Adam Fri May 14, 2004 6:39 pm

SHSC wrote: one percenter wrote:

clever, clever.

You will need to explain the barndoor thing to him again.

It might be easier if we all just accepted that we own Barndoors.

Okie Adam Fri May 14, 2004 6:41 pm

motothronton wrote: .....The 3 windows on each side of bus all have levers that work to ventalate windows......

Are we talking about camper windows here? Could this explain the strange seat position. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

jerry.t Fri May 14, 2004 6:51 pm

third!

jerry.t Fri May 14, 2004 6:52 pm

congrats on the bus. sounds like a nice finde.

BryanM Fri May 14, 2004 6:53 pm

one percenter wrote: singlesquared wrote: sounds like you have a Kombi or standard.

If in fact it is original paint, in this case two tone, wouldnt that mean it is a standard and not a kombi?

singlesquared wrote: And a tip. dont call the side doors "barn doors" . Barndoor is a term for pre-55 busses and it gets annoying and sometimes misleading when used improperly. Just call them cargo doors.

I hear a second, is there a third on this?

That is assuming that it is original paint , It could just be one of tho bastardized Kommercial busses that someone tried to spiff up. When will people learn that they should be happy without chrome and shiney colors. :D

and for a third time, the side doors are cargo doors, "barndoor" is a term for pre-55 busses. refering to the gargantuan decklid.

jerry.t Fri May 14, 2004 7:00 pm

singlessquared wrote
and for a third time, the side doors are cargo doors, "barndoor" is a term for pre-55 busses. refering to the gargantuan decklid.

beat you to it :mrgreen:

SHSC Fri May 14, 2004 7:08 pm

singlesquared wrote: When will people learn that they should be happy without chrome and shiney colors.

You mean happy with one color.

Clara Fri May 14, 2004 7:13 pm

motothronton wrote: It has 2 barn doors on the drivers side of bus.

I think you're all missing the point here... it has cargo doors on the DRIVER's side of the bus.. which is prety dern odd.

so pearlweiss (pearlwhite).. probably a kombi. 6 pop outs. no big deal.

Right above that paint colour sticker should be a metal tag attached to the bus... that's the M-code plate filled with secret codes. copy down everything on that tag, in the order it is on the tag, and post it here.

BUCIOBATISTI Fri May 14, 2004 7:19 pm

Clara wrote: motothronton wrote: It has 2 barn doors on the drivers side of bus.

I think you're all missing the point here... it has cargo doors on the DRIVER's side of the bus.. which is prety dern odd.

so pearlweiss (pearlwhite).. probably a kombi. 6 pop outs. no big deal.

Right above that paint colour sticker should be a metal tag attached to the bus... that's the M-code plate filled with secret codes. copy down everything on that tag, in the order it is on the tag, and post it here.

Maybe it's a homemade Right Hand Drive... not likely. I'll bet he's just mixed up about which side the cargo doors are on... most likely.