View original topic: this can't last Page: 1, 2  Next
TimB Sat May 15, 2004 7:07 am

how long do you think before a Sale Pending is posted?:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=75749

Hey maybe someone in the USA should buy it :wink:

mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 7:10 am

damn - i hate not having any cash- :?

spookymulder Sat May 15, 2004 7:29 am

I'm suprised it hasn't already. Quality buses on the Samba are few and far between!

zimblewinder Sat May 15, 2004 7:43 am

Hmmm 58 my favorite flavour!! :P

(my wife would beat me for even considering it).....

mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 8:13 am

zimblewinder wrote: Hmmm 58 my favorite flavour!! :P

(my wife would beat me for even considering it).....

it would be worth the beating.......mine could knock me into a near coma for that-

Clara Sat May 15, 2004 8:50 am

and it has the 'butty rings' :lol:

mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 9:45 am

Clara wrote: and it has the 'butty rings' :lol:

nothing like a big 'ole butt

BUCIOBATISTI Sat May 15, 2004 10:20 am

It sold within a couple hours. Second time I've been two slow in just 3 days! First we had the '57 Standard that appears to have been garaged for ~ 42 years and then we have this '58 Deluxe that has been garaged for ~31 years. What's next???

SHSC Sat May 15, 2004 10:21 am

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: What's next???

Maybe a nice ribbed kombi thats brand new.

BUCIOBATISTI Sat May 15, 2004 10:25 am

SHSC wrote: BUCIOBATISTI wrote: What's next???

Maybe a nice ribbed kombi thats brand new.

OK, I've got my cash, my phone in hand, and I'm already lurking on the site. If it could just pop up in the San Diego area this time, I'll be able to be the first one there.

Lind Sat May 15, 2004 11:03 am

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: It sold within a couple hours. Second time I've been two slow in just 3 days! First we had the '57 Standard that appears to have been garaged for ~ 42 years and then we have this '58 Deluxe that has been garaged for ~31 years. What's next???

the '57 standard was a black plate car, not a yellow plate one. signals got crossed in the second hand communication. still a nice bus.

that deluxe looks awesome. any word who got it? post or PM me if anyone knows.

BUCIOBATISTI Sat May 15, 2004 11:07 am

Lind wrote: BUCIOBATISTI wrote: It sold within a couple hours. Second time I've been two slow in just 3 days! First we had the '57 Standard that appears to have been garaged for ~ 42 years and then we have this '58 Deluxe that has been garaged for ~31 years. What's next???

the '57 standard was a black plate car, not a yellow plate one. signals got crossed in the second hand communication. still a nice bus.

Well we still know that it was parked for a VERY long time. I think that the fact that it has a very old set of bias plies on it says it was certainly some time in the 70's if not a bit earlier.

Lind Sat May 15, 2004 11:14 am

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: Lind wrote: BUCIOBATISTI wrote: It sold within a couple hours. Second time I've been two slow in just 3 days! First we had the '57 Standard that appears to have been garaged for ~ 42 years and then we have this '58 Deluxe that has been garaged for ~31 years. What's next???

Well we still know that it was parked for a VERY long time. I think that the fact that it has a very old set of bias plies on it says it was certainly some time in the 70's if not a bit earlier.

nice bus, no denying that. any bus that has paint that looks like that has been garaged most if not all of its life. my '57 standard still has the bias ply firestones on it that were purchased in '64 and '65. I even have the reciepts for them. mine quit getting regular use in the late 70s, but was a running vehicle its whole life. I think I will go take it for a drive today.

SHSC Sat May 15, 2004 11:23 am

But how did the mirror arm get so crusty sitting inside?

BUCIOBATISTI Sat May 15, 2004 11:49 am

SHSC wrote: But how did the mirror arm get so crusty sitting inside?

Even if you wrapped the whole Bus in a Ziplock baggy and came back 47 years later, you'd find deterioration of everything on it. Rubber shrinks and cracks, paint oxidizes, plastic discolors and shrinks, engine cases get calcium deposits on them and oxidation. If there was sunlight on that portion of the car or a leaky roof on the garage, water that came in and puddled on the floor, any different scenario, it just happens. What's amazing is what HASN'T deteriorated on it. That Bus still very much resembles the day it rolled of the line at the factory nearly 50 years ago. That's 5 DECADES ago, long before many of us were even born. Consider that and I think it puts it into perspective rather well.

Lind Sat May 15, 2004 12:29 pm

SHSC wrote: But how did the mirror arm get so crusty sitting inside?

most buses didn't come with passenger side mirror arms from the factory, so many people had them installed at the dealership. they were painted then by the dealership and the paint quality is not nearly as good as original factory paint. you usually only notice that is is out of place on nice original paint buses which are fairly uncommon.

I got pulled over by the state police yesterday and got a warning ticket for not having a passenger side mirror on my '61. I thought that was pretty funny.

TimB Sat May 15, 2004 2:11 pm

Lind wrote: SHSC wrote: But how did the mirror arm get so crusty sitting inside?

I got pulled over by the state police yesterday and got a warning ticket for not having a passenger side mirror on my '61. I thought that was pretty funny.

tell me that you "set him or her straight"? I got pulled over once in my '62 bug and was told that I needed to have rear seat belts. I nicely told the officer that they never came on the car and I almost always don't have any rear passengers. He let me go.

SHSC Sat May 15, 2004 2:21 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Even if you wrapped the whole Bus in a Ziplock baggy and came back 47 years later, you'd find deterioration of everything on it. Rubber shrinks and cracks, paint oxidizes, plastic discolors and shrinks, engine cases get calcium deposits on them and oxidation. If there was sunlight on that portion of the car or a leaky roof on the garage, water that came in and puddled on the floor, any different scenario, it just happens. What's amazing is what HASN'T deteriorated on it. That Bus still very much resembles the day it rolled of the line at the factory nearly 50 years ago. That's 5 DECADES ago, long before many of us were even born. Consider that and I think it puts it into perspective rather well.

I understand all of that, believe me I am not taking anything away from that bus, if it was one color I would want it.

SHSC Sat May 15, 2004 2:22 pm

Lind wrote:

Must have been a slow day.

Clara Sat May 15, 2004 2:35 pm

Lind wrote: I got pulled over by the state police yesterday and got a warning ticket for not having a passenger side mirror on my '61. I thought that was pretty funny.

my 61 didn't have any outside mirrors on it when I got it... wasn't standard equip on a deluxe