TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: door hinge pins
mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 11:51 am

i have to replace my hinge pins soon- one hinge on each door has the typical bolt through acting as the pin- what is the process for replacing the pins and do i get the standard pin- or do i go up the the next sized as WW has in their catalog?

Rex Surewood Sat May 15, 2004 12:01 pm

I would get the oversize ones.. There's probably a reason to why there are bolts through. The holes are probably worn so there will be too much play with stock size.
You'll have to get a drill the same size (just a tad bigger) as the pins and drill out the hinges. And do this straigt or you'll be screwed..!
And remember only to drill out the door-part of the hinges, too.

Then you should be able to knock the pins through.. (watch your paint!)

mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 12:17 pm

thx- rex. paint is nothing to worry about- i think there are at least 6 colors on here.. :lol:

have you replaced the wing window riverts before? i assume it's a standard rivet tool? i need to get my frames blasted and painted with everything else-

Rex Surewood Sat May 15, 2004 12:43 pm

You mean the the little vent windows..? The rivet in the top, I just replaced with little bolts and nuts..

mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 12:56 pm

yeah- the top rivets at the top hinge of the vent window-

Scotts 63 23 Sat May 15, 2004 9:17 pm

RustyPanel said:

Quote: have you replaced the wing window riverts before? i assume it's a standard rivet tool? i need to get my frames blasted and painted with everything else-

Special rivet and washer. You can get from WW.

Scott

mynameismud Sun May 16, 2004 5:19 am

Scott's '63 23 wrote: RustyPanel said:

Quote: have you replaced the wing window riverts before? i assume it's a standard rivet tool? i need to get my frames blasted and painted with everything else-

Special rivet and washer. You can get from WW.

Scott

Right I see that- Do I use a standard rivet tool?

Scotts 63 23 Sun May 16, 2004 6:06 am

Quote: Right I see that- Do I use a standard rivet tool?

If you mean a 'pop rivet tool', the answer is no. It would need to be squeezed with either a rivet squeezer or with channel locks/pliers. I've got the squeezers but have done it with channel locks and a bb (ball bearing) inserted into the hollow end of the rivet to help spread it on the initial squeeze.

Scott

mynameismud Sun May 16, 2004 6:18 am

LOL- geeze- for VW's being pretty basic animals there is no easy "standard" way to do anything. Would this be the same process for replacing the rivets in the vent window locking plates (that are riveted on the bottom edge of the wing window frame?

Scotts 63 23 Sun May 16, 2004 6:38 am

Quote: LOL- geeze- for VW's being pretty basic animals there is no easy "standard" way to do anything. Would this be the same process for replacing the rivets in the vent window locking plates (that are riveted on the bottom edge of the wing window frame

No, those rivets,which are solid, not semi hollow need to be drilled out and the latch removed. Slip in the new latch and rivets and peen the end of the rivets with a hammer and punch, while backing the head with a solid object. Some have used pop rivets on these latches and then smashed down the remains so that the glass and seal will fit back in.

The tough part is replacing the glass with new seals.

Scott

mynameismud Sun May 16, 2004 6:57 am

got it- thanks- mine are pretty ragged- so replacing them has to be done-

wengebug Mon May 17, 2004 8:43 pm

Scott's '63 23 wrote: It would need to be squeezed with either a rivet squeezer or with channel locks/pliers.

i feel dumb asking :| , but what's a rivet squeezer? how much does one of them cost? can you get around not using one? where would you get one?

i'm trying to put a vent window lock on and replace one of the seals...

thanks guys

-danny

Scotts 63 23 Mon May 17, 2004 9:27 pm

Here's a rivet squeezer:

They are an aircraft tool for joining sheet metal on airplanes.

You can accomplish what you need on the vent wing lock by removing the vent wing frame, inserting the new rivets in the new lock and smashing them with a punch and hammer while setting the frame on a vise.

Rivet squeezers work if you have the proper dies to fit the job. You can buy them on Ebay for $50-$150.

Good luck,

Scott

wengebug Mon May 17, 2004 10:50 pm

sounds basic enough... so how come they sell rivets on the bug sites for something like 2 for $1.00? why cant i just go down to the local Ace Hardware and pick up the right sizes for cheaper?

Scotts 63 23 Tue May 18, 2004 6:24 am

wengebug said:

Quote: sounds basic enough... so how come they sell rivets on the bug sites for something like 2 for $1.00? why cant i just go down to the local Ace Hardware and pick up the right sizes for cheaper?

You can get many things (including rivets) at Ace and use them instead of the products on VW sites. Some things aren't available at Ace (like the correct rivets for safari slider to frame connection) and it all depends on how 'correct' you want to be with your parts.

BZZBUG Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:23 am

Scott's '63 23 wrote: wengebug said:

Quote: sounds basic enough... so how come they sell rivets on the bug sites for something like 2 for $1.00? why cant i just go down to the local Ace Hardware and pick up the right sizes for cheaper?

You can get many things (including rivets) at Ace and use them instead of the products on VW sites. Some things aren't available at Ace (like the correct rivets for safari slider to frame connection) and it all depends on how 'correct' you want to be with your parts.

do you think split rivits will work for the latches?