TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: OH! Ring
[email protected] Sat May 15, 2004 5:00 pm

i have a '66 type 2 standard. i needed to take the axle tubes off. when i put them back on, the axle tube retainer leaked, and as i tried to tighten the six nuts i broke a stud. so, out came the transmission again. now, i see in the vw tech manual there is suppose to be an "o" ring plus the paper shims. in looking for that "o" ring in catalogues, i find the shims but no reference to the "o" rings. what's up with that? if you know the answer, please share. thanks...

jerry.t Sat May 15, 2004 5:05 pm

only o-rings i know of are the two for the bearing caps. but i am
no (expert) so dont take my word for it.

hazetguy Sat May 15, 2004 5:45 pm

the o-rings are for "67" trannies. if your old ones didn't have them, you don't need them and can't install them. the retainers and side covers are different for the ones that use the o-ring.
if you broke a stud, you're way overtorquing the nuts. put the air tools down and step away. :)
and jerry, post-barndoor busses do not use the large o-ring for the bearing cover (the large o-ring from the gasket kit), only the small ones on the axle shaft.

Stanw3 Sat May 15, 2004 7:53 pm

man John - that avatar is just creepy! Is that Frank Zappa? Creepy

hazetguy Sat May 15, 2004 8:11 pm

Quote: that avatar is just creepy! Is that Frank Zappa? Creepy

dude, if you gotta ask who it is, you've been living in a hole for too long. :)
yes, it is. i think it's a damn good pic of frank.

it's not as scary as the michael jackson one is it? i can always put that one back.

Lind Sat May 15, 2004 8:29 pm

hazetguy wrote: Quote: that avatar is just creepy! Is that Frank Zappa? Creepy dude, if you gotta ask who it is, you've been living in a hole for too long. :)
yes, it is. i think it's a damn good pic of frank.
it's not as scary as the michael jackson one is it? i can always put that one back.

please not michael again.

zappa is awesome.

[email protected] Sat May 15, 2004 9:12 pm

thanks...

jerry.t Sat May 15, 2004 10:00 pm

hg wrote ...jerry, post-barndoor busses do not use the large o-ring for the bearing cover (the large o-ring from the gasket kit), only the small ones on the axle shaft.

oh yeah thats right! forgot i have a bug tranny :D