TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: cargo doors wont come off!
23isthenumber Sat May 15, 2004 5:25 pm

so i went to the vw yard down the street and got some kombi style cargo doors for my panel. (i kinda like the look of having only those two windows) plus there are those ugly westy lookin things cut into them

the hinge screws wont come out. any ideas on gettin those doors off?

also...... back in the day was gettin windowed doors on a panel an option?

thanks guys!

spookymulder Sat May 15, 2004 5:37 pm

What I do is get an impact driver and give it a few swacks with a hammer and if they don't come loose try getting a real big phillips head screw driver and weld on a 14 MM nut half way up the shaft, then I would go down and spray all the screws with a good penetrating oil a day or two before hand. Take a box end wrench and slip the boxed end over the nut welded to the screwdriver shaft and put all your weight on the driver while turning. If that doesn't work, time to drill out the heads or take a drift and try and bang out the hinge pins. Lots of options try the one that works best for you.

k29349@yahoo Sat May 15, 2004 6:36 pm

If you have to drill, try to get a left hand drill bit ( you have to run the drill in reverse) . It will back the screw out while you are drilling most of the time.

mynameismud Sat May 15, 2004 7:31 pm

use a 1/2" drill bit- drill it until the bit just clears the head - it will snap off at the hinge plate- use caution not to drill to far-

Clara Sun May 16, 2004 11:16 am

impact wrench and big hammer. soak with penetrating oil. repeat next day.. every day for a week. the lower ones are always worse. It is much better to be patient than to drill them out which is a serious PITA. The tap and soak method works on pop outs as well... no impact driver needed there though.

or get your torch and heat red hot, douse with cold water from a squirt bottle... heat and cool to shock the rust loose. messes up the paint a bit though. I had to do that on a couple to replace the dented front door of my bus.

I always use the heat and cool treatment when disassembling bumpers... better than drilling out bumper tubes with broken bolts in, and trying not to bugger the threads.

mynameismud Sun May 16, 2004 12:02 pm

23isthenumber wrote: so i went to the vw yard down the street and got some kombi style cargo doors for my panel. (i kinda like the look of having only those two windows) plus there are those ugly westy lookin things cut into them

the hinge screws wont come out. any ideas on gettin those doors off?

also...... back in the day was gettin windowed doors on a panel an option?

thanks guys!

if he is pulling a set from a scrap heap @ the yard- what dif. does it make if he drills them out? (that's how i read it)

Clara Sun May 16, 2004 12:39 pm

RustyPanel wrote: if he is pulling a set from a scrap heap @ the yard- what dif. does it make if he drills them out? (that's how i read it)
oh ya... forgot that. still, an impact is a great thing, & easier than drilling if it works... should on at least some.

mynameismud Sun May 16, 2004 2:16 pm

it usually does work- on my front doors the impact driver took off all but one on the passenger and only 4 on the drivers- lucky me

23isthenumber Sun May 16, 2004 4:58 pm

thanks guys!

the doors i got were already off the bus. hinges still on.
this is why i would like to get the screws out and not mess with the role pins. i will have them off in time.

any word on if a panel could come with windowed cargos?