TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bit off more then I can chew
mynameismud Mon May 17, 2004 8:23 pm

Oh crap- I have a real problem (or so it feels) I took out my Type 3 tranny from under wraps to give installing the straight axle kit a shot. Well teh guy I bought it from not only took the outter axle plates off- but also the larger ones. He also un-loosened the nuts off the back plate where the nose cone attaches too. I also have a metal gasket? that is lying in the box- not tagged or anything- Am I screwed?

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 1:00 am

Only if he went digging around in the gearbox. Man that sucks he didn't tell you he started removing stuff from it before he sold it to you. Side plates shouldn't be a big deal just get some new seals and put it back together. I think I paid $5 for the seal kit I bought.

mynameismud Tue May 18, 2004 4:11 am

It looks as if the nuts on the gear box were just unloosened- (what does this do to the gasket there?) The gearshift housing doesn't appear to be removed.

Does anyone know what that metal "O" ring is to? Is this a shim? The Bentley mentions a "Thrust Washer- I don't seem to have that- would this ring be it? Would it go against the bearings of the differential? If so, I only have one, Also, last but NOT least :roll: - What do I use to remove the old gasket material, on the nose cone, axle tube retainers and final drive covers?

(see I am learning.... :lol: )

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 4:26 am

I would buy a new gasket kit and put new ones on. The second section being loose sucks because I would hate to have to break it down to replace the gasket. Maybe you can torque those nuts again and not leak. That really blows. Oh as far as removing the old ones a $3 putty knife works or razor blade and a wire brush is nice for them pieces that won't come all the way off.

mynameismud Tue May 18, 2004 4:44 am

i'll try torquing them down- (fingers crossed) Any thoughts on that metal ring? Got the gaskets with the straight axle kit-

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 4:59 am

Yeah those are washer that go in after the bearing. I can let you know for sure in about 2 hours when I look in my manual.

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 5:06 am

Does it look like the one sitting under the small o-ring? Like I said your bearing goes into the cup the washer small o-ring. If you need more info LMK.

mynameismud Tue May 18, 2004 5:52 am

nope- doesn't look like any of those- it's a flat ring, maybe 2-2-1/2" outer dia. maybe 1/16" thick. This came from the '64 Type 3 tanny- Would taking apart the Type 2 - and checking it out shed some light on it's location for me? (of course my dumb-a$$ didn't bring it to the office so I could snap a pic of it) :evil:

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 7:12 am

Screw pulling the bus one apart. Thing is I just put mine back together but can't remember a 1/16" washer.

mynameismud Tue May 18, 2004 7:19 am

DubStyle wrote: Screw pulling the bus one apart. Thing is I just put mine back together but can't remember a 1/16" washer.

it goes on that little thing-a-ma-gig next to the whatcha-ma-call-it-

splitpile Tue May 18, 2004 9:44 am

RustyPanel wrote: nope- doesn't look like any of those- it's a flat ring, maybe 2-2-1/2" outer dia. maybe 1/16" thick. This came from the '64 Type 3 tanny- Would taking apart the Type 2 - and checking it out shed some light on it's location for me? (of course my dumb-a$$ didn't bring it to the office so I could snap a pic of it) :evil:

Sounds like a thrut washer for the end gear, is there a dimple on the outside od it

splitpile Tue May 18, 2004 9:45 am

RustyPanel wrote: nope- doesn't look like any of those- it's a flat ring, maybe 2-2-1/2" outer dia. maybe 1/16" thick. This came from the '64 Type 3 tanny- Would taking apart the Type 2 - and checking it out shed some light on it's location for me? (of course my dumb-a$$ didn't bring it to the office so I could snap a pic of it) :evil:

Sounds like a thrut washer for the end gear, is there a dimple on the outside od it

mynameismud Tue May 18, 2004 10:00 am

Don't have it with me- I'll check later this afternoon-

ok there are no indents, grooves or anything- it is a plain metal ring 3-7/16" OD with a 2 15/16" ID and is almost paper-thin?

mynameismud Tue May 18, 2004 4:18 pm

Alright- in the Bentley, it says to make sure the Gear selector shafts are in neutral- it seems by the pic. that each 3 of the shafts are about mid-way out to where there is the notch just showing. Is this in fact neutral? I can't seem to locate a schematic line-drawing in the manual which shows this-

Also, since my Bentley is for the Bus to '60 and the Tranny I am "trying" to install is a Type 3 am I asking for trouble going of my Bentley- or are they "close"

:roll:

bmc350 Tue May 18, 2004 8:17 pm

As far as replacing the seals to the outer axle plates. If you don't want to remove the axles, you could always cut the new gaskets and place it under the plate with the cut at the top and use it with some indian head schellac (available at most auto part stores) to help it seal. I'm at a loss on the washer...

mynameismud Wed May 19, 2004 4:02 am

bmc350 wrote: As far as replacing the seals to the outer axle plates. If you don't want to remove the axles, you could always cut the new gaskets and place it under the plate with the cut at the top and use it with some indian head schellac (available at most auto part stores) to help it seal. I'm at a loss on the washer...

The outer axle plates aren't the issue- I have the gaskets for those- plus the nose cone. I appreciate the advice thou- (I'm taking the washer/ring in this am to the office to snap a pic...thing is driving me nuts)

mynameismud Wed May 19, 2004 8:38 am

Finally got a pic of the metal ring that I need answers to- (came from my Type 3 tranny)

http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=73622

DubStyle Wed May 19, 2004 8:51 am

As big as it looks I would almost think it's a spacer for the bearing on one or the other side of the bearing. You could call Paul at T3D to ask his help. 0 11 44 1638 743 211. Tell him TenDadz sent you. :wink:

mynameismud Wed May 19, 2004 9:00 am

That's what I was thinking- but don't want to screw it up - Ill drop him a line- :wink: