TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Starter bushing Question
DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 7:55 am

I was wondering WTF I'm going to do. The material on the Tranny is too think to remove any and the bushing will only have .015" wall thickness it I machine it to fit my starters pilot shaft. Is .035" to much clearence between the housing and pilot shaft?

jeremyrockjock Tue May 18, 2004 8:33 am

What are your doing? Is your tranny a 6 volt? Is your starter 6 volt?
12v trannies have a smaller hole and a thin bushing. when you convert a 6v tranny to 12v starter you have a thick bushing with a small shaft hole.

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 9:18 am

Here's the deal when I was in California a Starter company made me a 12v starter with 6v everything. The Pilot shaft is .495" the bushing ID is .535. If I machine the bushing to fit my pilot shaft it will be .015" wall thicknesses. The hole in the Tranny fits the .535 bushing but doesn't have enough wall thickness to drill up so I can make a bigger OD bushing. Not really trying to do anything just trying to get my bus on the road.

jeremyrockjock Tue May 18, 2004 9:33 am

So basically you have a 6v starter (made to run on 12v) and a 12v tranny. Then I would worry about using a bushing. It will wear out the tranny eventually though. What engine are you running? Can't you just convert your flywheel to 12v and get a true 12v starter?

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 12:37 pm

I have a 1500cc in it now. I figure I will take my starter apart and cut the pilot shaft down and make a new bushing to fit it and the tranny. :wink:

Zen Mechanic Tue May 18, 2004 2:28 pm

One option...easy breezy if you have a 12V flywheel...

Go pick up a self supporting starter for an Autostick bug. SR17X is the Bosch number. I ususally pick mine up from Autozone for about 50-60 bucks and a lifetime warranty. To hell with starter bushings.

Beto
60Std
63EZ
64Panel

Clara Tue May 18, 2004 2:50 pm

why don't you just go buy a bushing to put a 6V starter in a 12V tranny?
(yes your starter runs on 12V , but sounds like it has the 6V size where it fits the tranny)

jeremyrockjock Tue May 18, 2004 3:08 pm

Clara wrote: why don't you just go buy a bushing to put a 6V starter in a 12V tranny?
(yes your starter runs on 12V , but sounds like it has the 6V size where it fits the tranny)
That is what he is doing. The problem is the 6v starter shaft is big and the bore in a 12v tranny is small so the bushing would only be .015 thick.

rizzag Tue May 18, 2004 3:19 pm

jeremyrockjock wrote: Clara wrote: why don't you just go buy a bushing to put a 6V starter in a 12V tranny?
That is what he is doing. The problem is the 6v starter shaft is big and the bore in a 12v tranny is small so the bushing would only be .015 thick.
ya they are a little sliver of a bastard, and they are made. you can get them from empi and bugpack. (i have used them before)

davebuckholts Tue May 18, 2004 3:43 pm

If you do decide to use the adapter bushing, get two, they are easy to screw up when installing them. I just used an auto starter, but then again my bushing hole was worn out.

Clara Tue May 18, 2004 3:58 pm

jeremyrockjock wrote:

I've used them, they are thin, they work, they are available and cheap. and the problem is?

DubStyle Tue May 18, 2004 9:45 pm

Clara wrote: jeremyrockjock wrote:

I've used them, they are thin, they work, they are available and cheap. and the problem is?

I live on an island where my Bug and Bus are 1&2 of a handfull. Oh and it's literally in the middle of the atlantic. :roll: :evil: