TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No Tick Tock to be heard -- Whom in So Cal Can Fix My Clock?
Timothy Fri May 21, 2004 10:57 pm

Samba Contributors-Come to my rescue.............please
I would like to have my Deluxe clock restored and made new again, oh yes that would include it keeping time. I live in San Diego. Any of you kind folks know where I could go to have it fixed?
Thank you so kindly for your help.

Lind Sat May 22, 2004 3:58 am

a freind of mine fixes them and converts them to 12V. he says its really easy to do. replace one soldered connection and put a winder off of a type 3 clock on it (the backing and winder is the same for type 3 clocks).

Timothy Sat May 22, 2004 6:32 am

Lind:
Thank you for your VERY EARLY response..............a little insomnia going on!!! : )
Anyway, my bus is 6 volt and I want to keep it that way. The clock is out of a 55 Bus, and in good shape, but I would like to make it better and of course, work.
Does your friend do restoration as well?
Thanks again for your reply
Tim

Nate M. Sat May 22, 2004 7:51 am

You'll probably be able to fix it yourself. Usually the small piece of solder has broken and needs to be resoldered. I have a page w/ photos on my site that may help:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/vdo_repair/

On the page, I'm repairing a Ghia clock, but pretty much all the bus, Ghia, T-3 and T-4 clocks have a similar mechanism. Hope this helps. . . Good Luck!!

Lind Sat May 22, 2004 9:05 am

nice page Nate. that is about what my freind does. the lubricant he uses is LP. it is a spray grease that you can get at your better electronics supply stores. it lubricates and then dries down to a greaselike consistency. the stuff is awesome. if your winder is bad, you can get a 6V one off of a ghia clock. I find ghia clocks and type 3 clocks at swap meets for really cheap.

staceyz Sat May 22, 2004 9:27 am

If you are looking for a one stop shop place to completely restore the clock to new... send it to Palo Alto Speedometer:

www.paspeedo.com