TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Coil Gone Bad
DubStyle Sat May 22, 2004 1:55 pm

Can a coil go bad from just sitting? Here's the deal I took the engine out about 60 days ago. Put everything back in checked my connections and even went to my Old thread about no spark to double check. Still no spark! :evil: Can a coil go bad just like that? I'm gonna run a couple more checks but it's starting to sound like the coil. BTW

Alt
Coil
Electronic Ign.

DubStyle Sat May 22, 2004 3:29 pm

Ok changed:

All the Fuses
Swapped a working Coil in (NO GO)
Checked and double checked my wires
Swapped Coil wires just in case
When the ignition supplies power to the coil should the Ign. click since it's electronic? It does...

Still NO spark. :evil: This it the only thing between the 63 and I getting to enjoy a Sunday cruise. :?

dstefun Sun May 23, 2004 12:49 am

Anthony, the driving gods are not smiling on you lately! To test the coil - disconnect the wire from # 1 on the coil which goes to the distributor and the electronic module. Use a test light or voltmeter to check for power at #15 on the coil with the ignition switch on. No power, check at # 15 on the ignition switch.

If you have power, use a clip lead to momentarily ground # 1 on the coil. When you ground it and then disconnect it again, you should get a spark out of the coil high-tension wire, once each time you ground # 1 and release it. Your test lead is just acting like a set of points. Every time the points (clip lead) open and close you should get a spark. Spark = good coil, no spark = bad coil.

Since you've got an electronic module, if all the above works and connecting the electronic module doesn't work, chances are the module is fried. :cry: Put the points & condensor back in and go drive. :wink: Good luck!

DubStyle Sun May 23, 2004 7:07 am

I'll go out at try that. If the module clicks when the power is turned on that should mean the Ignition is good still right? Also if I have a bad ground from Tranny to Body can a 12v reading still mean the ground is robbing AMPS? I try and do those 2 test today.

hazetguy Sun May 23, 2004 8:10 am

if you don't have power at the coil, check for power at the #2 fuse on the fuseblock (key must be on). i've had and seen where the wire to the coil comes loose or there is a bad connection on the fuseblock, and once it's repaired there, it's fine.

DubStyle Sun May 23, 2004 12:40 pm

Well everything checked out good still no spark from the Coil(s). Let me ask this again will a low battery cause there to be no spark? Like maybe the coil requires more? Because the checks dstefun said to do check good. Just NO spark from the coil. Man this is really disheartening because it was running when I parked it. :evil:

DubStyle Sun May 23, 2004 12:56 pm

As soon as I can find some points I will try them. My Ign. smells burnt so as soon as I can locate a set of points I will try that. Now if there is NO ignition there can't be spark? I thought the coil sent the spark to the Distributor and then to the plugs. Correct me if I'm wrong all I want is to drive my bus. :?

DubStyle Mon May 24, 2004 4:12 pm

Put the points in after checking my Coil with a nicer Ohm meter. It checked good and when I got home connected everything and it fired the 1st time. :roll: Thanks for the HELP guys! Next up removing the crusty parts and welding in new metal. :shock: :D