TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: repro dog legs for a '57?
samba`57 Thu May 27, 2004 2:38 pm

Anyone know where i can get hold of repro dog legs for a '57?
The 1.9 inch type...

Thanks.

BUCIOBATISTI Thu May 27, 2004 3:24 pm

Kelly Brown at metwiz.com can possibly set you up.

crofty Thu May 27, 2004 3:40 pm

So after reading all the posts about metwiz vs. WW 'm totally freaked out. I dumped over 3 bills on metal from WW and now am wondering if that was a bad move. The impression I get is that kelly's stuff is made to order so there wouldn't be anyone out here (CA) to get it from right?

cru62 Thu May 27, 2004 6:36 pm

I'm not sure I would waste my money and time on the crap that is available from the main suppliers. Plus, the ones WW sells are for later models-63-67. And unless they have changed suppliers, the doglegs SUCK. Wrong guage metal, crappy assembly and worse fit. They were a nightmare! I have, however, heard good things about MetWiz.

Slammer Thu May 27, 2004 10:15 pm

I have used Kelly's parts on two different buses now and can attest to the product that he fabs. Good stuff.

WW repro items seem a bit thin and typically don't fit well.

splitpile Thu May 27, 2004 10:35 pm

Metwiz and/or Schofeild if you want stuff that works/fits . All the rest of the stuff is fair at the best. At least I warn people before they buy what to expect.

One of these days I will make a list and post it of what sheet metal (aftermarket) to use and where to get if from. I have used just about everyones out there and even some parts that someonme just had a few made . A good part is cheap as compared to the labor involved to make a shitty part work

dstefun Thu May 27, 2004 11:34 pm

splitpile wrote: Metwiz and/or Schofeild if you want stuff that works/fits .

Schofield told me via email that Wolfgang is one of their distributors, and I've heard rumors that Wolfsburg West and Busdepot are too. Can anybody verify that? I guess I could email them again and just ask....

staceyz Thu May 27, 2004 11:54 pm

No one makes the early doglegs. You are better off getting them from a decent bus. Metwiz modifies the later repro doglegs to make them taller.