TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Window Seal Replacement ....I know...Not again!
asagodowns Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:36 pm

I know this has been covered a bunch, I've done my searches and read the threads...some use talc, others windex, silicone spray, glycerine...what is the best way? I am putting new seals on the rear glass and the windshields...any more suggestions on lubricants would be appreciated. Also, I noticed that some use a sealant...is this necessary?

Windshield glass...is another issue...I have one Delog (I guess og) and one that is PPG (really scratched up)...any opinions on glass...I have done these searches and threads also...I am thinking about going to the local glass shop and having new cut...the piece of Delog glass is not to bad, has some delam.... I would like to stay with the old glass...but I dont know...any opinions?

Okie Adam Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:47 pm

any lube you use, in my opinion, needs to be alcohol bassed, i.e.windex, so it will evaporate or it will be proned to holding moisture after install.

Billet_Bus Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:29 pm

also use somthing that cleans up easy, it will save alot of hard work.

volksaddict Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:40 am

Lube? We don't need no stinking lubrication :)

Gunter Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:25 am

I run delog in my dormobile, no problems just scratches and the occasional pitted area.

When I rebuilt my og safari windows in the double cab I had new glass cut and put in.
Not original, but can see way better clarity wise.

It's up to you.

BryanM Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:25 am

Yea, what do you need lube for , I can understand if your putting the seals on a squareback pop out( PITA) but I never had any issues with teh front windshields or rear window.
You do need to use some sealeant, I put the ones in my 65 without sealant and they leak like crazy.
My friend uses clear silicone adheasive caulk and his never leak, we replaced one of his windshields when it cracked and ther wasnt any trac eof moisture held in the sills(no rust). I am putting windows in the westy today so i am gonna try that this time.

Ian Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:48 am

I also use clear silicone where it's needed and my windows seem to be fairly dry.

volksaddict Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:54 am

Use black silicone for sealant it won't turn yellow or dirty like clear does.

asagodowns Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:29 am

Where do you apply the silicone....between the glass and the seal or the seal and the frame? Just around the bottom or the whole window?
Thanks for the advice!

Clara Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:33 am

look in the VB archives... I've written stuff about glass installation. Living in the PNW it RAINS here. quite often. unlike places where folks don't bother with wipers. important to have a smooth sealing surface. which also helps to get the glass in place. I use engine oil for window lube, and also paint the lower edge thinly with roofing tar, which if there is any residual rust help to stop it, and to seal, repel water, esp if you aren't using NOS seals with premolded corners. the tar also softens and resquishes in the warm... unlike silicone.
New windsheild glass is nicer than old stuff with tons of tiny scratches. esp at night, with light from the streetlights/headlights of other cars. It's a different thickness than original, though

Okie Adam Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:06 am

Arent buses supposed to leak :?:

Clara Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:50 am

one percenter wrote: Arent buses supposed to leak :?:

No.

Okie Adam Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:05 pm

Clara wrote: one percenter wrote: Arent buses supposed to leak :?:

No.

Crap, thats the one thing I thought all my buses had going for them. :lol:

asagodowns Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm

Thanks Clara...I found the thread on VB archives....would the same apply for the rear window?

Clara Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:21 pm

asagodowns wrote: Thanks Clara...I found the thread on VB archives....would the same apply for the rear window? ya,sure you betcha. just be more careful with the sigla/laminated glass than the sekurit/tempered glass. most years (US spec) have tempered everywhere but the windsheilds. euro (some? all?) years had tempered windsheilds. you can pound on the tempered/sekurit glass... but it's easy to break the laminated stuff if you do it wrong. the trick is to push it palms flat fingers spread to extend the pressure over a larger area and not flex the glass. 3 sigla solid glass windows got broken last weekend (not by me) from using tempered glass techniques and not smoothing the windsheild ledges before installing the glass. That made me cringe so I stepped in and installed the 5 sigla windows w/o breaking any.
dunno why those guys don't understand the importance of lube.
don't drink and install laminated glass.