TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Old headliner glue removal. CAN I SAND OFF?
Gina Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:45 am

Can't afford the total restore at this time. Looking to do a little at a time. I have removed the old headliner and foam, but what is underneath is scary orange. What is a good removal process? Can it be sanded?

dstefun Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:39 pm

Yes, glue can be sanded if it's ages old and dried out. 150 or 220 would be good, should just take a light sanding to get the loose glue off. Be sure to use a mask, and prime anywhere you go through to bare metal. It doesn't have to be really smooth, just clean & dry.

W1K1 Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:02 pm

virgin laquer thinner was the best way we found to remove the old glue and it doesn't damage the paint :lol:

VWBobby Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:47 pm

That will work, but a 3M "Paint Remover" wheel works really well.. especially on a die grinder. They're about $8 but well worth it! It looks like a plastic wire wheel of some type, with grit coating the plastic. Don't rev the die grider too high or it can explode the disk (highly unlikely, but warning you).

If you break through to bare metal... get some stuff called "High Zinc Content primer"... "No top coat needed"Rustoleum makes it. It will stop rust permantly but put a coating of cheap paint on top to keep from moisture penetrating the primer. Alternativly the Krylon red primer or the Rust Tough (Krylon) enamal is good stuff too. I think I'm up to around $40 in primer alone before even getting to my quart of "good" primer.

VWBobby Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:51 pm

For really stubborn glues, MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) works really well but it is toxic as hell. Its about $16 a gallon too, but it will cut straight through anything...including your brain cells, if you don't wear good gloves.