TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which 21 or 23 window is the most desirable and why? Page: 1, 2  Next
58GhiaVert Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:57 pm

I am starting the journey of looking for a 21 or 23 window and would like to get as much info as possible so that I can avoid making a bad purchase.

Thanks

jeremyrockjock Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:14 pm

23!! They are older and nothing beats corner windows. I would rather have a 15 window than a 21. This is just my opinion. :wink:

german_metal Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:25 pm

Give me your 58vert and I will tell you...... :lol:

23's...if you have to spend that kind of money anyways, get the better of the two.....

Okie Adam Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:59 pm

im not just saying this because I do, but I would rather have a 21 than a 23. I would have to write a novel to explain why but there is my opinion.

question: are, based on production number, 21 windows more rare than post barndoor 23 windows due to the fact that 21s were only made from '64-'67?

23window Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:38 pm

23's are played out!

What you want is some rare metal like the Brazilia, or a Syncro Vanagon. :shock:

WharfRat Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:50 pm

call me crazy, but i would roll either a fleetline kombi or a syncro westy in a heartbeat.
go on. call me crazy. its ok. you wont hurt my feelings.

zimblewinder Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:53 am

CRAZY !!! - there I said it. Not very satisfying though. :-s

Its GOTTA be a 23!

but then again I love older DC's and a kombi sunroof would be coool, or a very early sub-hatch or Dormobile, or an early 15, any passengerBD.. or.. or...

Come to think of it though 21's just dont do it for me next to a 23 or any of these other ones.

to each their own. :D

Friedpotatoes Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:12 am

i would just get a standard

DubStyle Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:32 am

23 because of the corner windows. Like Jeremy said I'd rather roll a 15 window than a 21. Early DCs are on point too! That's why I bought a 63 Walk-Thru. :roll: 8)

kaveh Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:58 am

I like the '59 to '61 23 windows because they have small tail lights, bullet turn signals and heavey bumpers with overriders instead of the pressed bumpers. Those things just look flimsy to me.

jeremyrockjock Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:37 am

kaveh wrote: heavey bumpers with overriders instead of the pressed bumpers. Those things just look flimsy to me.
LOL, they are.

j.pickens Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:42 am

As to the original question, 21 or 23 window,
Depends on what you want.
If you want bone stock original, and also want to travel hither and yon, a post early '64 21 window will have big nut reduction gears, and can cruise at 65 mph with no problem.

An original stock '23 with the small nut gears will max out around 55mph for extended cruising.

If you just want a bone stock for local travel, then the 23 window is the shiat.

If you want to get rid of the reduction gears by lowering, and put in a bigger motor, then the 23 window also wins.

Notice: My comments above were based on practical driving considerations, mostly, except the last comment about modified buses where I like 23's better. Bottom line, its personal preference combined with drivability. IMHO these buses should be DRIVEN, not just hoarded in a garage somewhere.

TimB Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:19 am

well what ever you do a good rule of thumb is the more windows the more $$$$$.

Not that drive train may have much to do with this. But I've owned early and late split windows and my '67 is actually street drivable. Yeah I'm not going to be doing 80mph on the freeway. But it I like the Big Nut tranny over the early ones.

58GhiaVert Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:28 am

Thanks for the replies. I would prefer something stock to go along with my stock Ghia. I think I'm leaning towards the 61-64 23 window at this point.

spookymulder Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:39 am

They didn't make 23's in 64

TimB Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:39 am

58GhiaVert wrote: Thanks for the replies. I would prefer something stock to go along with my stock Ghia. I think I'm leaning towards the 61-64 23 window at this point.

keep in mind the '62 model changes. Gas gauge and bigger tail lights to name a few.

jeremyrockjock Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:51 am

opensunroof wrote: 58GhiaVert wrote: Thanks for the replies. I would prefer something stock to go along with my stock Ghia. I think I'm leaning towards the 61-64 23 window at this point.

keep in mind the '62 model changes. Gas gauge and bigger tail lights to name a few.

Innie louvers, push button handles, fried egg signals, low hinge cargo doors...

Okie Adam Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:07 am

jeremyrockjock wrote: opensunroof wrote: 58GhiaVert wrote: Thanks for the replies. I would prefer something stock to go along with my stock Ghia. I think I'm leaning towards the 61-64 23 window at this point.

Innie louvers, push button handles, fried egg signals, low hinge cargo doors...

push button handles didnt show up till '64.

spookymulder Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:59 am

Innie louvers were late 63

surferbus Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:47 pm

All things considered a 23 window bus would be awesome, but when your looking you have to take into consideration the condition of the bus. If you find a 21 window that is complete, little rust and a good value I say get it. :) Very hard to find a 23 window still in pretty good shape. All buses have their own great qualities. Most bus guys I talk to would also, like to have a double cab and a westy, but you always can't get just what you want. :(