TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Downshifting problem...sign of things to come?
Kaput Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:45 pm

I have noticed that lately when I am rolling I am having trouble downshifing into 2nd and 1st gears, goes away after warming up a bit (5 minutes or so) and has no trouble shifting when stopped. Is this somthing I should be worried about? Sign of things to come?

WharfRat Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:52 pm

quite possibly. i had the same thing happen on my bus, both upshifting and downshifting right before my clutch finally gave up the ghost. turned out in my case that an incorrect clutch cable was the culprit. although i thought it was the throwout bearing, because it was grabbing a little bit as well, the throwout turned out to be ok.

BaBaDaBus Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:34 pm

You just described my transmission word for word. I thought the throwout bearing was getting bad. The clutch was getting 'sticky'. The previous owner did brag that he rebuilt the motor and ran new clutch and brake lines. I found some pot seeds in the ash tray. Go figure.

Anyone have problems with EMPI (? The red urthane ones?) transaxle mounts? The previous owner also put those on during his 'repair' and the transmission slams on every shift. This my first bus.

Friedpotatoes Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:22 pm

Rule one hardly ever trust empi to make the best parts. i will admit some are good but some arnt at all.

Those red mounds are very stiff. I have heard from some people dont like the solid mounts. Some do.................i would recomend the stock rubber style mounts

Kaput Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:29 am

Ok were in the same boat...anyone have a remedy?
new clutch cable?
what should I do?

Kaput Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:30 am

Ok were in the same boat...anyone have a remedy?
new clutch cable?
what should I do? Help us! are we all fucked?

dezVW Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:58 am

yes

WharfRat Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:37 am

try a new clutch cable. otherwise, pull the engine and inspect the throwout bearing as per instructions in the muir book. also check the clutch and pressure plate, or other things that might have gone screwy. might not hurt to check your shifter linkage as well, although i doubt that would be the problem.