TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thank you John Muir
KevinCompton Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:25 am

So I finnaly did it. I have been hearing from everyone ever since I bought my Bus to buy John Muirs book "Keeping your VW Alive", well i decided i wanted to finnaly start doing some work on her so I bought it.

Now I must admit I do not have any mechanic backround other than that my dad worked on stuff (hopefully in my blood). But the most I had really done was brake jobs, tune up and oil change. But i read that book on how to do my valve adjust and I was about to take it in to this VW guy I know, but I did it myself. They were all to tight and according to Muir thats the worst way to be I guess.

Anyways I feel like a million bucks cause I did it myself and I feel I have a better understanding of my Bus. So to any newbies like me out there, you can do it. Just read that book. I'm gonna adjust my points and do a tune up today. No one told me working on a bus could be so addicting!

dezVW Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:38 am

i havent learned a fraction of what is possible, but with every step i have taken in the bus i love it that much more and taken more pride in it.

and then when it shits out i blame the advice from thesamba. J/K

nah, but congrats on your first valve job- imagine all the people out there paying for that crap!

KevinCompton Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:47 am

I know! Its way easier than I thought and its expensive to get it done. Plus every time I work on the bus I tell the wife I need some tools and that its okay cause I'm saving us money by doing it myself! :wink:

But ya the book was saying that doing a valve job should be done yourslef no matter how rich you are. Its like a bonding experience.

faster-laster Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:04 am

If you are serious about keeping the bus on the road in tip-top shape, spend the cash and get the bentley as well. It doesn't hold your hand like muir, but it sure helps describe in detail many items muir glazed over.

Besides, muir only has funny pictures. You need the serious clean cut germans removing the engine wearing overcoats to get a good laugh :)

VWBobby Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:24 am

Exactly. It gives you a chance to get to know what condition your engine is in and notice any problems before they become real issues. Its like a pre-flight check on an aircraft ;)

KevinCompton Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:27 am

Totally, I will buy that one. I would have it already but its $70 and I needed to change my oil like right away so I bought Muir. The next thing I buy though (besides maybe a $.99 burger) will be the Bentley.

jeremyrockjock Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:02 am

Next you'll be building motors, narrowed beams and rust repair. :wink:
Hey, you gotta start somewhere right?

KevinCompton Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:09 am

ya!

WharfRat Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:21 pm

for my bus, the bentley is over a hundred bucks, and i have an AE case 1600 DP, which is definitely not covered in the bentley. is it still worth shelling out the loot for?

VWBobby Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:35 pm

Yeah really!! Its a good question... For my '65 Bus, the Bentley is somthing like $80. I wish they would produce more of them so we could drive the price down. :) I can get a book for a FatChick for $20 right now.
-Bobby

BaBaDaBus Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:03 pm

Where can I pick up a John Muir or a Bentley? So Bentley's different year by year?

Goodness, I'm lost. I did my first valve job with a single page printed of the net. I didn't have much of a problem. :roll: Of course that car is no longer running, but sitting at the bottom of my driveway. Rolled down there and can't get back up. Stupid dooper.

_gabe

j.pickens Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:01 pm

WharfRat wrote: for my bus, the bentley is over a hundred bucks, and i have an AE case 1600 DP, which is definitely not covered in the bentley. is it still worth shelling out the loot for?

That's a very good question.
I have the 66-69 beetle Bentley manual, which covers the 1500cc normally aspirated engine the best. Most of my vehicles have 1600's, but when 1600's came out, VW put all this emissions stuff on them as well. Since most people skip this stuff, the '68 or '69 beetle setup is how most "stock style" 1600's are configured. So the 66-69 Bentley seems the best overall engine guide, along with 12V electrical stuff.
Then I have the correct year Bentley for everything in the vehicle EXCEPT the engine and 12V parts.

Oh, and yes, I think having both manuals is worth every penny.

Stanagon Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:24 pm

Just get the Bentley manual(s) when you are ready, and can afford it. The Muir book is great and it's what I learned on. Lots of retailers sell the Bentley manuals for less than retail too. You can get more details about the manuals at www.BentleyPublishers.com

Nitty Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:34 pm

I have both the Muir and the Bentley. The value/cost ratio of Muir is great. The Bentley . . . less so. It's a high price to pay, especially when money's tight.