TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: reattching fuel line fitting on the fuel pump...
marklaken Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:54 am

i just read benfalia's "unimaginable" post and it got me thinking...

i just pulled my engine the other day and in the process of trying to remove my fuel line from the fuel pump (the line that runs to the carb, out of the pump), i pulled the brass fitting out of the fuel pump body....is there a safe way to reinstall this fitting to make sure i won't have a weak link in my fuel delivery system? just press fit it back in the pump body or do i need to go at it differently?....thanks, mark...oh yeah, its a 1641cc dualport....

jeremyrockjock Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:58 am

I would replace the pump. Cheap insurance.

Ian Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:51 pm

Yeah man, you can pick one of them up for like $20. Highly recommended. You could also tap the pump and put new fittings in that'll never come out. :D

Scotts 63 23 Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:27 pm

My fitting came out of the fuel pump (rebuildable type) on it's own about 3 years ago while on the road. Smelled gas and pulled over. There was fuel all over the place. Fortunately, no fire.

I cleaned the nipple and put it back in with the strongest 'Locktite' available. It's been solid since...

mikevw57 Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:34 pm

Make barbs on the brass fitting(pliers, knife) and pound back into the fuel pump. Worked on my 28pict 40HP.

type877 Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:43 pm

The reattachment methods probably work fine, but I'm fire-shy. I had an engine fire in my bug for that exact reason. If I did fix one, I would still buy and install a new one and maybe keep the repaired on in the bus as an emergency spare.

jerry.t Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:43 am

i have had two fuel fires in volkswagans. both had to do with the nipples
coming off. if it was me i would replace the pump with a known good
one. remember the pump is not far from the distributer.