TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Old German Wrenches I Purchased At A Garage Sale
amishman Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:48 pm

Has any heard of Belzer-Ventil before. It is the name on some wrenches I purchased at a garage sale. The whole box for $2. They show made in Germany. I got a whole box, maybe 20 wrenches in all, of various styles of wrenches. Most show made in Germany. Some are very rusty! Is there some solution that they can be soaked in to remove rust? Or just trash the bad ones. Some are not too bad. As mentioned, many say Belzer-Ventil on them, with the word Germany on the wrench. Are these are good? They look old. I even scored a Hazet wrench, "U" shaped, with the model # of 2578 on it. Not sure of its purpose. Got a Gedore in the mix also, a No. 4. Some real rusty Stahlwhile wrenches also. I know these things new are not too cheap so hope I can clean these real rusty ones. Any words of advise on cleaning them would be great. Also, any good or bad on Belzer-Ventil.

Thanks

Thomas

KombiMonster Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Wire wheel on a bench grinder should help you out....just hold on to that thing..lol.

Fish Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:21 pm

You can soak them in CLR and hot tap water. Get CLR (calcium, lime rust) at your neighborhood Long's, Thrifty, Sav-on Drugs, Osco, etc, etc. That should take off almost all the surface rust, old grease and dirt. Dry them off and blast with glass beads. Of course you'll need a bead blaster for that last operation. :lol: