TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Question for split bus owners...I would love advice
namaste1600 Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:22 am

I am new to this forum, so I hope I am doing this right.
I have a 1966 13 Window Deluxe and I have no brake lights. I have checked my brake sensor and all of my connections. I am at a lost of what to do without running a new wire. Any ideas? All of my other lights work just fine. Oh, and I have checked the bulbs, too. I just thought someone else with more knowledge than I might have an idea. Thanks for your time.

type877 Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:29 am

Have you checked your fuses? There are two 16 amp fuses on the right side of the block. Check the one on the left.

EverettB Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:33 am

It sounds like you checked everything but here's what I would check:

1. With voltmeter, make sure you are getting power at the master cylinder switch on the side that comes from the dashboard. They key will probably have to be turned to the "on" position. Got Power?
Yes - Good, proceed with step 2
No - Check dash board wiring from fusebox to master cylinder.
2. Connect the 2 poles on the master cylinder switch together with a wire. Brakes lights come on?
Yes - wiring/bulbs are good, possible master cylinder switch problem.
No - Bulbs bad or not grounded - check bulbs. Make sure taillight are grounded properly. Possible wiring problem if bulbs are ok.
3. Remove wire from step 2. Have someone press on the brake pedal while you put the voltmeter on the other master cylinder connection. Got power?
Yes - master cylinder switch is ok.
No - master cylinder switch is bad - Replace switch, bleed brakes, retest brake lights.

ToolBox Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:41 am

namaste1600 wrote: I am new to this forum, so I hope I am doing this right.
I have a 1966 13 Window Deluxe and I have no brake lights. I have checked my brake sensor and all of my connections. I am at a lost of what to do without running a new wire. Any ideas? All of my other lights work just fine. Oh, and I have checked the bulbs, too. I just thought someone else with more knowledge than I might have an idea. Thanks for your time.

12V or 6V electrical system?

Could be the turn signal/Eflasher relay box.

KevinCompton Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:43 am

I had the same problem when I first got my bus, all the lights worked but the brake. I would just go ahead and change the sensor that connects to your master cylnder. Mine looked fine also, but its a $6 part so I went ahead and changed it...problem fixed.

ronnie Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:45 am

sounds like the 9 pin relay to me.

Fish Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:33 am

ronnie wrote: sounds like the 9 pin relay to me.
The brake light wire from the master cylinder runs back throught the 9 pin relay later models or back through the turn single switch on earlyer models. That could be where your problem is. It needs to do this because the brake light and the turn signals share the same bulbs. If the circut is not seperated then both lights will flash when you turn on your signals.

Roamingwesty Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:05 am

It could be the switch on the cylinder. Have you tried a new one yet? (You said you checked the sensor.. maybe you did this already.)

namaste1600 Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:14 am

Thanks for the advice on my brake lights. I do have a 12v system. I have not blown any fuses. I did put a new sensor on the master cylinder, but nothing changed. I will have to check a few more things I guess.
It is just not safe driving around without brake lights. I do not want my sweet girl to get hit, especially because my bus is my daily driver. Thanks again.

ronnie Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:53 am

Fish wrote: ronnie wrote: sounds like the 9 pin relay to me.
The brake light wire from the master cylinder runs back throught the 9 pin relay later models or back through the turn single switch on earlyer models. That could be where your problem is. It needs to do this because the brake light and the turn signals share the same bulbs. If the circut is not seperated then both lights will flash when you turn on your signals.

66 is the first year of the 9 pin.

Erik G Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:55 am

the easiest check for the brakelight switch, at least for me, is to disconnect the two wires on the switch, and tape them together. turn the key to on, and walk to the back of the bus. If the brake lights are on, it's the switch, if not, start checking fuses, 9 pin, etc etc. I have gotten bad brake light switchs from the store, so don't rule out that just because you replaced it.

66split Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:39 pm

make sure your brake lights grounds have not come loose. there should be one for each light in the engine compartment...

Benfalia Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:53 pm

my taillights/rear turn/brake lights were acting flakey so i grounded them direct to the body (on the gussets) and they have worked perfect ever since.

now my problem is that my left turn signal won't go on when my headlights are on...i'm sure it is shorting out back there somewhere as a result of the fire. i haven't really dug into it yet.

good luck!

Friedpotatoes Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:40 pm

On mine i hooked it up to the diagram the brake lights didnt work........... i found one wire hanging there that went to the turn signal switch. So i hooked the wire that come from the master to it and they work!

so my wiring was a little altered by someone but it was done good.........

splitpile Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 pm

If you have a 66 that was converted to 12 volts more then likely the relay is toast and if not yet it will be. Look into getting a 12 volt 9 pin relay, NOS, good used, a replacement style from WW or a couple guys here in town have found them (replacement aftermarket on e-bay for around 20 bucks.

bc59bus Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:02 am

You may want to think about useing the hot wire from your horn. For a power supply while testing the brake light system your points will love you for it