TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Honing tool
Kaput Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:08 pm

Gave up temporarily on a motor upgrade and am going to attempt removing my engine for the first time and putting on new rings.

I bought a flex-hone tool that is 3 1/4" 83 mm. I have a 1200 wich is supposed to be 77mm. I am wondering if i should shell out another 5 bucks for the next size up...88mm I think. thinking that it could be used for bigger engine projects.

Can anyone tell me what the bore sizes are on a 1600 or 1776 that I may buy in the future? it would be nice to shell out 5 bucks now if its gonna save me 40 in the future.

PS does anyone have any links for engine removal and installing rings to suplement my idiot guide?

NAES Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:03 am

1600 bore size is 85.5
1776 is 90.5

Being that the price for new pistons and cylinders is ~$200, I would think that for reliability sake most people would just shell out that money and buy new rings to seal them all up together.

But, I also understand how money can be tight so I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

As for removing your engine, I put a milk crate under stock height buses and the engine is right about the correct height. There is nothing hard about it really, just undo the 4 bolts, throttle cable, electrical connections (mark them if there is any question about where they go) and fuel line. Oh, and the most important one, heater cables. I always forget that one. :wink:

Good Luck.