TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: help! shifter to engine bushing problem help!
kage Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:38 pm

The bushing that connects the shifter (at the end of the hockey stick) blew apart. I am trying to replace it along with the rubber boot. It's hard to get the two rods aligned, and impossible to draw them closer together. I am about a half an inch short of having the screws line up. HOW DO I GET THEM CLOSER TOGETHER? I have tried wiggling the shifter but it's still too far. What am I missing?

DubStyle Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:44 pm

Your gearbox probably isn't in neutral.

SHSC Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:46 pm

When the coupler broke what gear were you in? If you were in first or third the hockey stick will be pushed back further into the nose cone. Can you get someone to help you, and move the shifter around, until you, laying under the bus can get the rod into the coupler. If you can't, you can pull the rod by hand and get things to line up as well.

kage Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:57 pm

:D Hey! Thanks for the quick replies. I was in third when it went all mushy. I haven't had anyone to help but I have tried it in several gears and neutral. What would push it the farthest out or make it the loosest to pull? Also I pulled the engine side rod towards the front with vice grips. I got it a little closer, bad idea?

KombiMonster Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:58 pm

Grease the inside of the coupler first....I found that very helpful..