TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Deluxe Seat Cover Material.....
Jung Restoration Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:12 pm

Hey,

I am re-doing my front 1/3, 2/3 front seats for my 67 deluxe bus, and was curious to know if you can buy the original style cover material and piping. I know that Wolfsburg West, West Coast Metric, etc., carry pre-stitched seat covers, but I was just looking for the material.

I was planning on upolstering my seats with the original platinum mesh style seat covers, but I can't seem to find a place on the web or locally that carries just the fabric.

Can you help me out??

Thanks,

Nate

6d6vdub Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:22 pm

I can't think of where to buy just the fabric. But, TMI Products does the original style covers that everyone is selling. Going straight to the source may be a good start.

www.tmiproducts.com/

jerry.t Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:32 pm

have you tried a auto uphoslstery shop? there is a place here in okc
that has a large supply of material for automotive interior.

earthmuffin Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:38 pm

Have you called WW and talked to someone personally?
I only ask because in some of their interior kits that they offer, they supply some bulk material to use if you want to fabricate other pieces that they don't offer. Might be worth it to give them a jingle.

j.pickens Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:44 pm

Last I checked you could get the TMI fabrics in bulk, as long as you go through a dealer or trim shop recognized by TMI as a reseller.

splitpile Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:50 pm

I am a SWD,TMI dealer and will not sell bulk vintage series material, even to their dealers. I have tried to buy just yardage and get shut down. I can get extra yardage when placing an order for like material.
I think Doug from Upolstery Haus in Scottsdale still has some original style fabric he had made a few years back.

j.pickens Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:28 pm

Ronnie,
That sucks.
Two years ago, when I did my deluxe bus, we got all the materials from TMI for custom sewn seat covers and interior panels. I guess they stopped this.

Jung Restoration Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:22 am

Thanks for the info. on TMI and other resources. Much appreciated.

Nate

Roamingwesty Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:14 pm

Sewfine provided great customer service on the phone while I was shopping around. I went one-stop-shopping elsewhere but you could give them a call just to compare.

http://www.sewfineproducts.com

1-800-SEWFINE

There was a thread a while back posted by Sewfine customers, nothing but good feedback.

Good luck.

splitpile Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:12 pm

TMI went through all the trouble of making the original style upolstery a few years back. They use to sell it by the yard, but when they started to get complaints from people who had other companies sew up their covers with TMI fabric they put an end to bulk sales.
I did hear that they were working on a deal to have Lenny's West Coast Classics do the sewing for them on the 63 and earlier seat covers, or something like that. TMI does not do the earlier sewn in pleats.