TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Red Splitty in TN.
58Type2 Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:32 pm

Just curious if anyone knows of this bus rolling around Tennessee. My girl said she saw it. From what I am hearing it is late 50's early 60's, white upper, red lower.

Said it was driving around last thursday, near Jackson. Just trying to see if I can get a pic of it or what not.

Thanks folks.

Jax

Mr. Twisted Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:24 pm

Any more discription of the Bus she saw? I know of two that color in the Nashville area, I can eliminate one from last Thursday. I've seen a camper that is White over Red. I've seen it in Clarksville, and Nashville, could be the same one.

58Type2 Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:14 pm

I have talked to her some more and she said that only the top is white, the roof. The rest of the bus is red. Small window on the rear hatch, so earlier hatch. Not a deluxe as that window is too big. Will talk to her some more tomorrow. She also said she will take her cam with her in case she sees it again, she works in that area so she might get another chance at looking, unless the bus is from well out of town of course.

Will find out more tomorrow.

Jax

58Type2 Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:04 pm

Any other ideas folks? Red bus, white roof. Small back window, and still have the Volkswagen script on the back...not many people I know still have that on there anymore.

Appreciate the help.

Jax

DaveB Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:14 pm

Could it be a Westy?

58Type2 Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:25 pm

It could be but it was not converted to camper top. She saw it and asked me to see if I could find out more about it. Westy is possible.

Mr. Twisted Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:38 pm

DaveB, are you the driver of the Red and White Westy with a roof rack, and "Freedom Bus" painted on the rear side? A couple of us were talking about that bus the other day. Is it the same one I might have seen up at Ft. Campbell a few times? It's also been spotted in Nashville recently, Didn't notice if it had a small rear window though.

DaveB Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:55 am

No but I know who the guy is. I'm retired AF and my last few years worked with the Army on Fort Bragg, we trained SF Medics. The owner went through the course at one time. He is stationed at Ft Campbell (SP?). If you get a chance to look at the bus take a look. It has a ton of hard to find accessories in it and on it, almost to much. Randall Smith is the guys name, if i remember correctly, and he likes to talk Buses.
I've seen someone else post back in Mar about a Red/White westy seen in the Nashville area with a painted westy rack, that was his bus.

vwjosh6070 Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:58 pm

i have a friend in tenn. who has like 6 busses, i know one is a 67 hardtop camper he drives around.