TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bus glass, which is best?...
Mr Mike Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:43 pm

Hey guys,
on this site and a couple others, folks were talking about SIGLA and
SEKURITE glass in their busses. Got to wondering, after nine years with
same bus I never looked at the logo's. My windsheild glass is SIGLA,
corner windows are SIGLA, back window is SEKURITE. My pop-outs are a
mix of both. Is one supposed to be better then the other? Whats the difference between the two? Other then the logo's I can't tell.
Whats up?

obus Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:18 pm

do a search but alot of what logo is etched on your glass has to do with what year your bus is. i believe the older ones have sigla (pre 64?)and later(64-67) have securit but don't hold me to it!

jerry.t Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:00 pm

i think its the luck of the draw, like obus said, should depend on year.
but i have a 58 standard with 10 out of 11 og sekurit glass, but it is a
euro model so that could have alot to do withit.

jeremyrockjock Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:38 am

Obus is correct.

Andrew Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:56 am

Isn't there a glass logo section on drop gates?

55samba Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:17 am

Sekurit is the best for several reasons. It is tempered glass not laminate like Sigla. Sigla can delaminate and bubble, it also can crack very easily when you install it.

crofty Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:34 am

My '60 and '65 has sekurit and my '62 has Sigla.

EvilBus Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:07 pm

Having to source some of the early glass for my 23, it begs the question. With all the technology in auto glass over the past 50 years and realizing that
"Logo" Envy may step in, does it truly matter unless you're doing it for show?

I mean, as a thought. One could buy any of the etching compounds for glass
apply over a template and viola, SIGLA glass.

Yes, an OE piece is great, but I've been looking, in vain, for a rear window for my deluxe. Like finding hens teeth.

At some point, all of it will be gone and we'll be relegated to the 30s Ford crowd with Fiberglass and repro glass.

Sad, but happenin.

Just us buses Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:30 pm

55samba is correct. I'm sure many of us have a pile of old salvaged glass but most is fogged up or delaminating (bubbles). I have a deluxe rear, condition unknown. I also have DeLog or something like that on early windshields.

EvilBus Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:27 pm

Well, I agree, I do stockpile as much of the tough stuff (side glass for the doors etc.) but I'll probably wind up buying another couple of sets of corner windows.

Unfortunately, that's too hard to find. And most of the stuff I find at swaps is delaminated or cracked. I've even got some that's scratched, so I'll have to buff those out.

Since Wolfgang Safaris have a logo, theirs, on them the technique can't be too hard to "reproduce it." I'm going to experiment. It's frustrating to
pay $200 for a few square feet of auto glass.

But I agree, Sekurit is probably best since it meets most of the safety standards. I mean if it's a show car, then by all means, but if it's a driver?

KombiMonster Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:13 pm

Anyone know how to store some SIGLA glass to prevent the bubbles? I have a couple pieces I just put in some card board boxes...is that good enough?...

Alan Brase Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:34 pm

Seems like one should store it vertically, like its position in use.
Al
69 doublecab

KombiMonster Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:39 pm

...Well let me be more speacific...I have card board boxes collapsed and the glass slide in between them...one per box...So they are all sit'n vertical.

EvilBus Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:37 am

Delamination is a function of heat, humidity and age that's why it starts at the edges. This includes fogging, but IMO store them vertically. That's the way they do it at the auto glass places.