TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westfalia cab trim
dockaos Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:47 pm

I'm trying to restore my '66 Westy walkthrough (Pearl White) to as original as possible. A few questions:

- What was the color/material of the cab door and kick panels. From the pictures I've seen, grey vinyl looks like it. Did '66 doors have a pull handle on the inside top of the door, as well as the latch handle?

- Were the cab seats were covered in grey vinyl, as well?

- Did the birch headliner extend into the cab?

- What are the correct light fixtures for the areas between the windows on the driver's side? Mine currently has narrow lights which are similar to the lights on the ceiling. I've also seen pictures of '66 campers with wider lights featuring a flipswitch on the bottom.

- What was the original floor covering in the cargo area. Carpet or linoleum?

Thanks in advance!

Gunter Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:01 pm

My 66 westy Dormobile has grey panels in front
Grey seat upholstery like in a deluxe the mesh grey This is original to the bus. It had door pull handles. It has birch original wood for the roof panels in the cab.

The rear floor has the orignal vinal floor with a grey pattern on it.
The rear light in mine is square with a push button on the side. 66-67 westy only lights.
Hope this helps you out

dockaos Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:14 pm

Thanks, Gunter!

One more question. Was the panel on the rear hatch birch or grey vinyl as well?

cris torlasco Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:21 pm

Hi Dockaos;

Answers:

- Door and kick panels for a 66 Westy should be darkish grey vinyl.

- Doors should have a pull handle at the top, in addition to the latch handles (the latter should be the short kind)

- Seats coverd with salt & pepper vinyl. TMI makes a wonderful reproduction of these.

- Cab healdiner matches the door and kick panels, although I have seen birch front ceiling panels in one ocassion (it was a Dormobile furnished by Westfalia). Perhaps Dormobiles had birch cabin ceilings, and regular Westys had grey panels??

- Correct rear wall light fixtures should be the wider ones, with a switch. Not the ceiling fixtures.

-Original cargo floor material was a light greyish linoleum, although my 66 came with a darker pattern which I have never seen elsewhere. It was an European delivery, maybe that explains it.

-Panel on the rear hatch should be birch with metal clips.

Cris

Clara Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:12 am

what cris said,
plus the front panels for the push button splitties are a different (darker)grey than the earlier grey, and the cab door panels had the chrome clips like on the back hatch.

Alika Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:27 am

what cris said , but the ceiling light fixtures mounted on the pillars (if you'd call it that) are mounted vertically (without the lenses) ..... they go behind the large plastic lenses with the push button ..... so do not discard them.

Clara Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:28 pm

2shay trtl wrote: what cris said , but the ceiling light fixtures mounted on the pillars (if you'd call it that) are mounted vertically (without the lenses) ..... they go behind the large plastic lenses with the push button ..... so do not discard them.
talking about the side light fixtures... i've seen them where they screw on to a dogleg made out of curtain material, and also where they slide into a metal bracket. The rectangular lenses are also different... have the two holes or a groove at each side. Actually I've seen (might have) one that has the groove and the 2 holes. The grooved kind of lens/set up seems more sturdy to me.

Any ideas on years these styles were used?

Alika Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:36 pm

Quote: talking about the side light fixtures... i've seen them where they screw on to a dogleg made out of curtain material, and also where they slide into a metal bracket. The rectangular lenses are also different... have the two holes or a groove at each side. Actually I've seen (might have) one that has the groove and the 2 holes. The grooved kind of lens/set up seems more sturdy to me.

Any ideas on years these styles were used?

Not sure on the years used , but the ones with the grooves seem sturdier to me also ....... I have only seen these once , and that's on my friends 67' Dormobile. My 66' has the mount utilizing the curtain rod material , which is what I see mainly.

Major Woody Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:29 pm

There is an article on the "restoration help/info" section of Dropgates.com showing a comparison of whose door and kick panels are truest to the original. Click on "interior". Hope this is helpful to you.