TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dormer camper conversion?
kombidisease Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:08 am

Hey all, I have a question for you more informed folk. I have come accross a 1967 11 window that was converted into a camper by a U.K. company called Dormer. It is called a Devon and has a 3/4 roof pop up. It is NOT a Dormobile. Has any one heard of this bus? How come I have never heard of this bus? Are they not a good conversion? Any info on this kind of camper would be much appreciated. Thanks!

fig Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:55 am

Sounds like a bit of confusion here.

Dormer is an abbreviation of Dormobile. Dormobile appears to have been used as a generic term for any camper van by many Brits in the 60s and 70s.

Devon camper conversions were built by an English company called JP White of Sidmouth. Early Devon VW campers were called Caravettes. You could order a Devon with a Dormobile pop-up roof.

Dormobiles and Dormobile pop-tops were built by a company called Martin Walter of Folkestone.

Martin Walter built its own Dormobile campers on VW buses and all sorts of other vans, mostly Bedfords. Martin Walter also supplied Dormobile pop-up roofs to many other camper converters, including Devon and Westfalia, hence the SO42 Westfalia Dormobiles.

kombidisease Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:36 am

Hey, great info. Thanks for educateing me and soon the owner. It is deffinatly not built by Dormer then, because it does not have a Dormobile pop top. Did I understand that correctly?