TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: newly uncovered OG paint.
krusher Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:35 pm

Hi, rather than posting on the end of the rather long OG paint thread I though I would start a new one for people to post pic of what they have uncovered recently.

I bought some "oven pride" cooker cleaner, nearest thing I could find to easy off in the UK, and spent a few hours experimenting, my bus was painted red as a fire vehicle after delivery, and nearly 50 years of rain have washed alot of it off, after aplying the oven pride the red paint slowly disolves like its water based paint that you washing off (little harder work than that though) and dosent touch the OG paint at all.

This rear panel turned out pretty good, could do with a little more work. I need to do the buses lower welding first realy and then polish the OG and then fog in some new celulose lower paint.

BUCIOBATISTI Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:53 pm

Right on Keith! Looks great. Did you polish that with something too or is that shine just from the rubbing of the paint when you wiped off the oven cleaner? Another product I forgot to mention earlier in all of these paint removal threads is a product here in the States called "Oops". It is a special liquid for removing latex paint, crayon, grease, adhesive, etc. I used some on some brushed on touchup spots on my original paint '57 RHD Oval and it took the paint off with absolutely no harm to the original whatsoever. This was for lightly brushed on latex based (house?) paint. It took a while and several passes but it was very safe and undamaging to the original which is key.
Keep up the good work Keith, you've got to catch up to the number of hours I spent on the '53.

krusher Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:38 pm

As it was a test I did a little polishing with G6 cutting compound and then a little carnuba wax. I can get a much beetter finish with some harder work. The digital cam make it look better than it is at the moment.

Anyboy got any good polishes?

http://www.5starshine.com/

thought i might try this stuff, ptfe teflon instead of wax.

BUCIOBATISTI Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:50 pm

Keith- Email my good buddy, "10 Foot Doug The Head" at [email protected] and tell him that I sent you from the UK for polishing tips. He just did his 1960 23 Window that had brushed on tractor paint. He bought it back in 1988 and just this last year Easy Off'ed the whole Bus and polished it out. Good thing he waited to find the right product for the job as the results are incredible. Take a look...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=76712

The original interior is just as nice, not perfect, but all original and untouched, complete, and correct.

The front "Roma, Italia" license plate is BDM property and was only on loan for flossing during the Classic Weekend...

EverettB Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:54 pm

Wow, that came out really nice.

VWBobby Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:18 pm

Thats the original paint on Campingbox's bus?? Just making sure I'm not misunderstanding you.

Skim Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:27 pm

"Oven Pride" LOL. Thats almost as bad as "Panburger Partner" :lol:
Oh well, looks like that oven pride worked with good results. Maybe you shold send some over here.

BUCIOBATISTI Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:37 pm

VWBobby wrote: Thats the original paint on Campingbox's bus?? Just making sure I'm not misunderstanding you.

Nope, that's "10 Foot Doug The Head's" Bus. Campingbox took the pic of it. I don't think that Greg has the patience to do a detail job like that.